New skunk cleaner is awesome

stingythingy45

BRS Member
I just picked up my first cleaner shrimp yesterday.
These creatures are the coolest.This morning I lean down by the glass to look for him.Out it comes right in front of me....not hiding.:)
The wife is like,how cool is that.It comes out to great you........simply amazed.Goodness..........I love this hobby.:D

They will clean your hand if you let them. Put your hand in the tank and within a few minutes they probably will jump on it and start to clean you if you do not move that much. It will tickle a little though.

Really?
I can certainly see why they are so popular.
The price is getting steap for them now a days.

Really?
I can certainly see why they are so popular.
The price is getting steap for them now a days.

I just made mention of that to my LFS a couple days ago. About a year ago they were really cheap and not they are getting up there for just a shrimp!

I was wondering if they really clean the fishes? I just got two for a week now but I don't see them clean my fishes at all. All they do are stealing foods from my corals and chasing each other..:confused:

Read about them. In the wild they create "cleaning stations" and wait for fish to approach for a cleaning. My three cleaners set up shop by hanging upside down from my very large Toadstool and they wait for their "customers".

Very interesting to watch. The fish just seem to get that blank stare as if getting a massage and the shrimp do their thing.

Enjoy them! :)

I was wondering if they really clean the fishes? I just got two for a week now but I don't see them clean my fishes at all. All they do are stealing foods from my corals and chasing each other..:confused:

They do. They are probably just still getting used to things. Also, if they are small they take some time to get used to things. I will tell you that they are great at stealing coral food. It makes things very difficult.

They do clean the fish. I have never seen it YET in my tank. I have had a skunk cleaner shrimp in with a C/b angel and a yellow tang. He sets up a cleaning station all the time (Really Cool). The poor shrimp has not had any fish come in for service. Except for me I have put my hand in there for it to try to clean, and yup it tickles.

Yeah my peppermints also do the cleaning the hand thing. It was cool when 1 or 2 would come to clean my hand, then when all 15 of em come out and swarm your hand it gets less cool.

When they do start a cleaning station, it's amazing to watch.

Our coral beauty pulled up and spread it's gills open and the shrimp reached out, grabbed the fish, turned it nearly sideways, and started cleaning.

I don't know who was more surprised, me...or the coral beauty!

my old shrimp used to set up shop on top of my christmas tree rock. everyday my clownfish would go over, open his mouth and the shrimp would stick his arms in his mouth. i think the clown was giving him food? not sure, but it was really amazing to watch especially since it was a common thing to see.
that shrimp has simce died and my new one dosnt really do anything but sit on the rock all day. its real small though so i'm hoping when it gets bigger it will.

Read about them. In the wild they create "cleaning stations" and wait for fish to approach for a cleaning. My three cleaners set up shop by hanging upside down from my very large Toadstool and they wait for their "customers".

Very interesting to watch. The fish just seem to get that blank stare as if getting a massage and the shrimp do their thing.

Enjoy them! :)

That's exactly where mine went to.It's always at the base of a very large toadstool rubbing it's front claws together waiting for a customer.
It did a little sparing with a peppermint the other day.Yesterday the coral banded shrimp went looking for him.The cleaner just walked arounf the toadstool base and stayed on the opposite side of the CBS.......it was comical.:)

Back