smart home .com

I really wouldn't trust X-10 for a tank. It is VERY unreliable and will turn on and off when you least expect it (especially if you live in a more highly populated area). If you go with any X-10 get the more expensive line, but it is still pretty unreliable. It wouldn't be so bad for lights, but I would never use it for pumps or heating. Trust me...my occupation is home control, and I have personally owned x-10 in the past.

I use to control the lights and i love it.

Attachments

• activehome.JPG
    activehome.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 192
Don't get me wrong, it isn't super bad stuff. It just acts up. That's exactly why you don't see any companies installing X-10...they don't want the headaches. X-10 is definitely a DIY thing, and in some houses it can work flawlessly, but in most it has its hiccups.

that is a screenshot of the software main screen. you see the devices you defined and can turn them on/off manually. there's also another screen (not in the pic) that allows you to program what time of the day each device turns on and off.

I have been using my AQ2 with X-10 modules for a while now, no issues. I do have all of them on their own house circuit though.

the GREAT thing about this smarthome kit is that it creates a log on our computer of every X10 command it intercepts. So you'll know exactly which channels are free of "noise".

There are many easy ways to mitigate most problems with X10. You can use signal bridges that tie both phases in your house so that X10 will work everywhere. Also there are X10 amplifier/repeaters, noise suppressers and diagnostic equipment. I have a cheap test kit that allows you to insert a signal and listen to it from any outlet. By listening to the signal you can determine the X10 signal strength. Also, you can use the snooper to determine "noisy" sourcess by pluggin in the snooper WITHOUT any X10 signals. Once you find the noise sources you can use noise filters and signal amplifiers to increase the signal to noise ratio...pretty easy. I have been using X10 for my chiller and heaters for over 5 years without problems. I tried to use them on my lighting but I have the old Blueline MH Ballasts that are really noisy and hence screw up the X10 signal. However, most MH ballasts these days are much less noisy and work well with x10.

Back