So I'm an idiot

dlux5life

Non-member
So let me get your thoughts on something. Hopefully this isn't something that will screw my tank up too much. I've done two stupid things with fat fingering my RKL system.

1.) Accidently turned off my heaters to my tank overnight. Tank temperature was at 72.5 this morning when i woke up. I have a mixed reef of LPS and SPS. Things looked OK, a little more shrivled and closed than usual. Could 4 or so hours at 72.5 be enough to kill a large amount of live stock? All fish seemed to be fine

2.) I use my RKL to dose Kalk. From 8:00 at night till 8:00 AM the system will turn on a Toms Aqualifter for 15 seconds, then turn it off for 14:45 seconds. Essentially every 15 minutes the system will dose kalk for 15 seconds. I needed to up the amount of kalk due to a higher CA demand. I accidentally changed the setting when upping it to 20 seconds every 15 minutes to 2 minutes every 15 minutes.

Over the course of 2 nights 1 gallon of kalk mixture (two tsp's kalk in one gallon RO) was put in my 90 gallon tank. I havent had a chance to test for alk yet and will do so tonight and post the figure.

For the high alk I am sure to have, I am assuming that 30% water changes would suffice every other day or so until my alk levels are back in line?

The temp thing shouldn't be too much of an issue. The kalk dosing will depend on how much the alk was raised. You need to test that ASAP and then decide what actions are appropriate. I don't use kalk so don't have a good idea of what that volume would do to a 90 gallon tank. I checked this calculator http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html and it says that for 90 gallons of water (guessing you are around this with a sump) 1 gallon of saturated kalk would raise alk 1.3dkh, so hopefully you will be fine there too.

I have a 30 long under my tank as a refugium. Total water volume is roughly 120 gallons. I'll test the alk tonight and see where I am at. I saw the temp and the empty alk container on the way out to work this morning and couldn't do much about it (besides turning the heaters on).

during the outage one of my tanks got to 62 , so that wont be an issue , if things are raised slow,,,, athough u might get ick so watch out for that

kalk doesn't raise ALK too much in my experience, I think you'll be fine with one gallon saturated kalk water over two nights.

The 72 is a non-event.

I would get an Alk and Ca reading to see where those are and go from there

Thanks for the re-assurance. I am glad that my screw up may not be so bad, though we'll see where the alk levels are at when i get home. My Alk tends to be around 12 - 12.2. Hopefully it isn't too elivated. I'll make sure to post the levels tonight when i get home.

So i tested PH and Alk last night. Everything is in spec. PH is 8.2 and Alk is 2.5 meq/L.

I have 30 gallons of water teed up for a water change, but it may not be needed at this point.

Aparently Kalk wasnt have the effect on Alk that i thought.

Thanks for the reasurrance.

Back