Southdown Question

This was addressed by someone a long time ago on RC. I would tell you to do a search, but honestly I don't know you would find it. So, from what I remember........

The place in Florida that "mined" the southdown/yardright/oldcastle playsand was also the supplier for the more expensive "aquarium" sand sold in LFS. A disclaimer was added to the southdown, "not for aquarium use" to dissway folks from using the cheaper stuff in their tanks. Others mentioned that the resellers of the "packaged stuff for aquariums" cleaned the sand further. Others, pretty much debunked that idea saying it was just put in a fancy bag.

I bet there were other reasons, but I am sure it was just economical. Not to bash (been enough of that already :rolleyes: ) but most stuff for our tanks are outrageously overpriced. Kalk vs pickling lime for example.

At least this is how I remember it.... :cool:

Southdown

Your answer makes sense and will do a search in the main reef forum to see what I can find for chuckles. Seems like eveyone or a great majority uses it so if it's good for them should work for me also. Tanks for your time to answer. Got a week before I redo my tank.

Back