Southdown Question

Ba19Ma88

Non-member
I have a .5" sand bed in the new 75 and I washed the sand 3-4 times. My problem is that I still have a ton of sand in suspension. It is bad enough I had to put a canister filter and I still cannot even run the skimmer (Euro reef 5-2) as the collection cup fills within 2-3 minuets.

I have a tunze I do not dare turn it on until it settles. Or do I turn it on and allow it to settle with it on or wait until the sand settles then turn it on and run the risk of having to start all over again.

My question is I know the sand will grow a type of bacteria and then be more stable and float. Does anybody know how long this takes.

Sorry for the long post just hard trying to explain exactly what I am looking for you guys to answer.
Bruce

Sorry it is to early to try and post a question that is short and to the point

FYI....The tank has been running since last Sunday woth some major re-aquascaping done on Tuesday night. Since then really not moved anything to stir up alot of sand.

Got any rock in there? If not, add the rock and it will probably settle out really quick.

If you have a sump, add a filter sock to catch some of the sediment...

If you can see "through" the water, I would turn on the Tunze..better to see how the water moves around the tank and it'll make you feel better about spending all that money. :D (I wouldn't leave it on all the time, though).

Bruce when I changed over to sand I used poly in my canister and it settled in 1 day.

Back