stop me

"their is solid proof that an Led fixture will last 10 years over a reef tank, it's a myth. There are many "old" led fixtures in the junk heap, many not even lasting a year...."

There is solid proof that an LED could last 10 years. Look around your house you probably have many LEDs over five years old.
Manufacturers test all LEDs not just one. If you buy any new technology you expect the manufacturer knows about life even though it has not existed before
The products designed for aquariums are of such poor quality there are many t5, metal halides, protein skimmers on the junk
heap not even lasting a year. The temperature has a major influence. Some designs overdrive the LEDs reducing the life time.
Many of the designs have power supply and driver issues not the LEDs. BUYER BEWARE on the purchase of any aquarium equipment.

The advantage of LEDs is they will be the dominate technology in a couple of years and currently are the best technology
for many if not most aquariums. The research and development will drop the price and increase the efficiency.

What is your estimate of an LEDs life 2,3,4 0r 5 times metal halide/T5?
I believe you indicated at least 2 times.
The Dept of Energy study referenced has old data. High power LED are evolving technology. I agree that the 10 year life is a
myth. I also don't see my CF or T5s lasting 5 years your lucky if they last a year. Another advantage of LEDs is if you drop one it won't break and spread toxic mercury all over the floor. A metal halide light has more mercury.

http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html

1. Before cleanup
* Have people and pets leave the room.
* Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.
* Shut off the central forced air heating/air-conditioning system, if you have one.
* Collect materials needed to clean up broken bulb.

2. During cleanup
* Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder.
* Place cleanup materials in a sealable container.

3. After cleanup
* Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of properly. Avoid leaving any bulb fragments or cleanup materials indoors.
* If practical, continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours.

Back