Safety stop

Zirky

Non-member
I added a six pack of evansi anthias and a flasher wrass yesterday (thank you Domanic) I floated them,acclimated salinity, soaked them in each of the two medications and placed them in the in tank acquaintance box. This was an extremely stressful few hours for all of us. at the end of it all one anthias is swimming, the rest of them looked dead or dying. Over the next couple hours one by one they all rose out of the pvc elbows and joined there sister looking ready to go. I tried taking picks but they came out horrible. Hopefully this continues to go well.

I used safety stop on a tailspot blenny and I think I nearly killed it. The fish survived but was not a happy camper. There must be certain fish that are just not as tolerant of formalin treatment.

I'm glad the anthias survived!

There must be certain fish that are just not as tolerant of formalin treatment.
Exactly. Part A of Safety Stop is Formalin and not all fish will tolerate that well. Methylene Blue (Part B) is much better tolerated by almost all fish. But it’s the formalin component which is most effective at dislodging parasites & worms. Probably doesn’t get them all, but most of them.

Exactly. Part A of Safety Stop is Formalin and not all fish will tolerate that well. Methylene Blue (Part B) is much better tolerated by almost all fish. But it’s the formalin component which is most effective at dislodging parasites & worms. Probably doesn’t get them all, but most of them.
Do you have any suggestions for families of fish that are intolerant of formalin dips?

Do you have any suggestions for families of fish that are intolerant of formalin dips?
I usually use this to gage how to go about treating any kind of fish. I found this on R2R when I started to QT.

First off, don't ever use formalin on a fish with any cuts, redness or if you suspect ammonia burn.

I've had problems getting wrasses, anthias, blennies, gobies through both formalin baths and in-tank treatments. I wouldn't even attempt it with a dragonet. Surprisingly, seahorses & pipefish seem to tolerate it very well.

3C9C24E2-9C71-43DB-AA07-DE5223310C79.jpeg
8CC3EA27-D0B9-4DF2-8316-85FCB290E849.jpeg
It’s been a stressful few days but I’ve released the hounds. yorgos had some great advice And hooked me up with some more food options. There was some scary tang attacks but that subsided in an hour.

Frozen eggs and bloodworms. I now have far to many different varieties of frozen,freeze dried and fish
Market foods to list and I’m feeding a little of everything.

Back