Storing salt water for a couple of weeks

P-Nut

Non-member
my dad decided to set up a reef tank, and he was asking me some questions. one of the questions was: Can you store water for a couple of weeks (in buckets), or would stuff start to precipitate?
I didnt know how to answer that because i never stored water, so I was wondering if someone here could answer the question.

- I dont know what kind of salt he will be using.

I store salt water for a long time I just keep it aerated and I throw a small pump in for circulation. Keep it covered so dust and other contagions don't get in.

you might get some evaporation, so check your SG before you use it

I keep 55gal of top off, and 55 of WC water in my basement with a couple Maxijets in them. They both last 3-4weeks with no issues. I do a constant WC, so I change about 2.5 gallons/day

I keep rodi, and salt mix, 60g each. I only use a powerhead to mix. It then can sit for 2 months before using it all. Most of the time i just add to it.
I never airate or heat it before adding.

>Can you store [salt] water for a couple of weeks (in buckets), or would stuff start to precipitate? <

I think that once things are fully dissolved you should not have any significant additional precipitation over time. IMO/IME it's also fine to NOT areate or agitate it once it is well mixed. Since there is no significant amount of biomatter in the water, there should not be any significant oxygen consumption. It should be fine even to put into a bucket with a lid. This is not true with tank water...there is sometimes enough nutrients in tank water that you will get some continuous oxygen consumption and then the dissolved oxygen level of the water might drop low enough to make some hydrogen sulfide as the bacteria start to use sulfate from the water.

he did not say it's fresh rodi water or mixed salt water.

I usually try to mix just enough just for the water change the night before.

he did not say it's fresh rodi water or mixed salt water.

I usually try to mix just enough just for the water change the night before.

It would be mixed salt water. He just wants to mix enough for two weeks that way he doesn't need to mix it every week and he has some in case of an emergency. He is still not sure what salt he will use. I am guessing he will use reef crystals since thats what he used back in the day.

Thanks for the answers everyone.

Back