stupid question... but i am asking it anyway

fluidfarms

Non-member
Hi everyone, I have an innovative marine 40 gallon tank with internal filtration. I bought some loose carbon and GFO. Could I just put it in my filter sock? I have the media basket, but dumping some media in the fitler sock seems like it would work fine?

does anyone do this? Maybe the media would just floating around and get out of the sock and make a mess?

Should I put it in a media bag and then put it in the sock?

Not the most efficient way to force water through the carbon, but you can do it. I used to put my carbon in a little mesh filter back and drop it in the filter sock.

It will work, but not efficiently. Most of the water will just flow around it, not through it. The GFO will probably clump up as well.

IM makes a reactor (minimax) for their tanks. I have one and it works pretty good.

It will work, but not efficiently. Most of the water will just flow around it, not through it. The GFO will probably clump up as well.

IM makes a reactor (minimax) for their tanks. I have one and it works pretty good.
Bulk reef makes a reasonably priced one too

Bulk reef makes a reasonably priced one too
I have the one from from BRS. I like it works good. The carbon is used up faster the the gfo only draw back to putting in the same reactor. I started using them seperately. Carbon for 2 weeks and then gfo for 3-4 and repeat.

I'd say carbon would be ok but I wouldn't do GFO in a bag it would work but I think it works best when it's tumbling but that's just my $.02 and it could be way outdated as I haven't had the need to use GFO for almost 10 years now so I could be totally wrong LOL...

Back