Sump build question

CrazyFishPeople

Non-member
Is a 30 gallon tank I have, big enough to convert into a sump.. For a 125 gallon tank? Deme mentions just fit right, under the stand & saves me from spending n find new demensions for heater & stuff.

if its just to hide equipment and maybe a small fuge, I would say yes, as long as the skimmer and return pump fit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456959291.802356.jpg

I have a 29 under my 90 and it works great. I do wish the return pump chamber and the fuge were bigger. I didn't build the stand, so I am limited to what the space measures. I could probably squeeze a 40B, but it'd be tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A sump has no "right" size. The purpose of a sump is to add water volume, hide equipment from DT, aid in WC and to house a fuge if this is your choice of nutrient export.
In the case of a sump I would say the bigger the better! but its your choice depending on your plans. If 30 gallons is whats going to fit in your stand and house all the equipment you are going to add and you have no other option that is fine. Make sure tho you are set up right that your sump is not going to overflow in the case of a power outage.

A sump has no "right" size. The purpose of a sump is to add water volume, hide equipment from DT, aid in WC and to house a fuge if this is your choice of nutrient export.
In the case of a sump I would say the bigger the better! but its your choice depending on your plans. If 30 gallons is whats going to fit in your stand and house all the equipment you are going to add and you have no other option that is fine. Make sure tho you are set up right that your sump is not going to overflow in the case of a power outage.
X2. No Law or rules if it fits, it will work.

a sump is a sump. the purpose is to keep equipments out of the display tank. and also to help easy on the maintenance
When building a sump, you want to make sure that it has enough space to hold the extra water (from the display) in case of power lost.
heck, even a 10g or 20g would work for your 125g if you design in such a way that it can hold the extra water from your display (when power lost) .
With that being said, some people likes bigger sump just for additional water volume and the extra room for additional equipment.

a few sump photos from my previous setups.
sump1.JPG

sump2.JPG

sump3.JPG

Last edited:
Back