Sump design help

Mikeyp1055

Non-member
I'm going to be setting up a 90g tank. Now I know that a sump refugium in a 20L or 30L won't be ideal because the contact time isn't sufficient enough. I am wondering if this design will work.

That's essentially how I have mine set up, and my chaeto was doing great. It eventually all died out but I have zero nitrates and very clean water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

why the dual inputs into the fuge? i have mine T'd off from the return. you may accumulate waste in that area if T'd off directly from input.

why the dual inputs into the fuge? i have mine T'd off from the return. you may accumulate waste in that area if T'd off directly from input.
My though was to have DT water go directly into the fuge. The reason I think I want that is to minimize the amount of pods being skimmed out rather than going fuge, skimmer, return.

But that is why I posted the draft to get input. Thanks for the insight, I didn't think of the waste build up

+1 on this. If this is anything like my sump there will be a lot of detritus getting in there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Nutrients from the raw tank water can be taken up by macro algae that is why you want to split the return one to the skimmer and one to the Fuge

But if you had to choose between the two, it would be skimmer all the way. You can cut you skimmers performance in half with bad placement.

Back