sun coral question

Steve H

Formerly sch1013
I bought one of these last week, my question is do they only eat when they are open. They only seem to open up after I put food around them, are they getting it or opening up too late? I would feed again but don't want to overfeed my tank. thanks

Yes only when open. Put a little food around them to get them to open. After they open put the food (Meaty) on the polyps.

the best way to get them to open without overfeeding is to add some of the packing juice from some thawed mysis to your tank 5 mins before feeding,once they have opened then target feed them the mysis.

do they usually prefer mysis or cyclopeze or both. I have been feeding the cyclopeze

Mine loves both. Lately I have been feeding them cyclopeeze since I figure it's smaller & probably easier & faster for them to swallow. If I feed mysis, my clean up crew start to come and steal the food before the polyps able to swallow it.

How much do you feed each polyp and how often (once/twice a day, every other day?)

I don't have any yet, but would like to have some down the road. Doing my homework now. :)

Thanks!
Melody~

MelodyDurham said:
How much do you feed each polyp and how often (once/twice a day, every other day?)

I don't have any yet, but would like to have some down the road. Doing my homework now. :)

Thanks!
Melody~

they are best fed daily,the problem is this amount of food even if you target feed can overfeed your system causing algae.A good trick is to place the colony where they are easily accessable and lift them out of the tank in a small tupperware containing tank water allow them to settle for a few minutes feed them in the tupperware and them returhn them to the tank and discard the tupperware water.They really don't mind being lifted if you are careful.

Meaty foods are best. Such as fish goo (blended shrimp, squid, fish, scallops etc) once or twice a week is more than enough. You will be amazed how big a chunk they will eat. Don?t worry if the clean up crew join in they will take in all they need and everyone else gets a taste.

What if you cut a 2 or 3 liter bottle in half, place the top half over the polyps, unscrew the cap, put food in, screw the top on, and remove when the water clears, just as if it were a small clam. Then the critters couldn't steal the food away from them........

ReeferMedic said:
What if you cut a 2 or 3 liter bottle in half, place the top half over the polyps, unscrew the cap, put food in, screw the top on, and remove when the water clears, just as if it were a small clam. Then the critters couldn't steal the food away from them........

I have had the one in my avatar for almost two years now and it's doing great. IMO I don't think all this extra effort is really nessary.

denvig said:
I have had the one in my avatar for almost two years now and it's doing great. IMO I don't think all this extra effort is really nessary.

That makes it even more attractive, thanks again Dennis.........

Back