T Accessible Reef shops

RichConley

Attack of the Killer Cute
Welcome to my life. I live in Allston, and don't have a car. I have access to the MBTA, and in a slightly more limited way, the commuter rail.

Are there any good shops that are easily T accessible?

Skiptons is a great store, and must be close to one of the subway lines (it's off Mass Ave, near Boston City Hospital. You could ask on their sponsor forum (it's listed halfway down the BRS forums page).

Yeah, Skiptons is pretty close to the Orange Line stop called Mass Ave.
The neighborhood can be kinda sketchy, so be careful when you're walking from the Tstop to the store.

I'll stop by there when I get a chance then. I've been lurking around ReefCentral and Nano-Reef.com for quite a bit, and been trying to make that leap into actually keeping a tank. I just moved into the city from the burbs (walpole) and am really missing being able to wander over to UncleNed's. I need to find a new haunt.

I think you will need to take the bus after the train to get to Skiptons. It's a good walk from the Mass ave stop to Skipton. Lovely Pets on the hand is right off the Quincy Center T stop.

How long is "a long walk?" a mile isnt bad. I can do that.

I'll check out the shop in quincy too.

RichConley said:
How long is "a long walk?" a mile isnt bad. I can do that.

I'll check out the shop in quincy too.
From the Mass Ave stop to Skiptons is within a mile.
I'd figure 6 blocks.

The new silver line takes you to lenox st, or mass ave. I think its the closest you can get.

There's a small shop near the lechmere stop called "Boston Tropical Fish and Reptiles" at 243 Monsignor O'Brien Highway, Cambridge, MA (617-623-4244)

Also, there is Exotic Marine Fish Wholesalers (617-389-7258) at 65 Hancock St
Boston, MA, but their hours are very odd.

If you can find a bus to Revere, there is a fantastic store there call Sea Creatures. The number is (781) 286-3474. If you can get there, this is the place to go.

reefsmurf said:
I'll second the sketchy neighborhood comment.

I'm a member, or was, of the Boston Union Wrestling Club. We practice in Mission Hill. I also went to highschool in dorchester (BCHIGH-yeah..not so sketch, but some of the surrounding areas are). I've seen my share of skechy areas, but thanks for the heads up.

Sometimes you can ask other members to give you a ride. Just make a post, especially on the weekends.

Are you saying to meetings, or just to a store in general?

Its probably going to be a while before i really need to go to a store..I just want to check them out, get an idea of whats there. I'm still in the "ordering all sorts of crap online" (lights, etc) stage. This will be my first saltwater/reef tank. Had a ton of cichlid tanks at home, but I really want to try something new, a little bit more challenging.

I've been doing a ton of research, but would still like to have a live support group. ( I love RC, and Nano-Reef.com) but sometimes its nice to be able to actually talk to someone.

Back