Tank Life Expectancy

janda

Non-member
How long do they last do you think? Been shopping around for a new 125 and when they ask about my current tank, a 16 year old 55, they say it's past due. Should I worry? AGA built and silicone all seems fine, but every time the kids come jumping by (they don't seem able to walk) I wonder. Thanks in advance.

If the seals look ok and such I wouldn't worry. My 55 is 20-25 yrs old....Not sure on the exact age since I bought it used....It doesn't leak and looks fine other than some scratches...

There was some talk when the Tunze wave maker came out on what that would do to the expected life of the tank. There was talk about a 15 year life and that the Tunze would cut it 10% due to the stress on the seams.

My 58 was built in either 1981 or 1986, IIRC. The date of manufacture is on the inspection tag, on the bottom of the tank. I'd have to take down the tank to see exactly when it was, and thats not happening.

I have a slate bottom 2.5 gal that I set up for a short period of time and had no issues with....( it is at least 30 years old.) I would gather that if you don't move them alot and that they are set up level that they would last quite a while...

My 58 was built in either 1981 or 1986, IIRC. The date of manufacture is on the inspection tag, on the bottom of the tank. I'd have to take down the tank to see exactly when it was, and thats not happening.

Wow I thought my tank was old. Thanks, now I feel no pressure to run out and buy that new tank.

I used a 55g for my sump, that looked like it had been through a war, and then an expedition to the geographical South Pole! I'm not sure exactly how old it was, but it had coke-bottle-thick glass, and no center brace. I used it without any problems, and without the plastic trim on top, since that had fallen off.

Personally I think if a tank is well cared for, it'll get ugly and scratched long before it's seals are simply worn out.

Back