Could something outside your tank effect the marine life in the tank?

subie_driver

Non-member
This maybe a strange question but I feel like i'm missing something with my tank. I'm recently came back to the hobby and it seems like this new tank I've set has had nothing but issues. First my tank got velvet. Then I had an aiptasia out break and red slim algae. After I treated the aiptasia I had hair algae every where. When I had the red slim and hair algae my phosphate was high. I put a reactor with phosban and carbon in it and scrubbed as much of the hair of the rocks as I could. I also got a starry blenny and he's a monster. Some of my zoas aren't opening and my saebae was smaller then usual. I noticed one of my clown fish was acting funny last night and looked like she had a bruise through one of her white bands. I tested my water and everything was ok one test came back slightly low I think it was the Carbonate Hardness (KH). I did a water change any ways. I will list the equipment and live stock below. I'm not sure why it seems like this tank has been such an ordeal my other tanks in the past I don't think I had the issues in the many years they were set up that I've had in the time this tank has been set up.

20 gallon tank running for approximately 10 months
Current USA Truelumen Pro LED 12k/453 Fusion 24" strip and 453 blue 12"strip
2 power nano power heads
heater set at 78 degrees
Eshoppe PSK-75H hang on protein skimmer
2 little fishies media reactor running phosban and carbon

1 clown fish
1 domino damsal
1 Starry Blenny
Saebae anemone small maybe 3-4 inches across
Pink & Green Birds nest
Acan
Encrusting Monti
Stylipora
Rhicordia mushroom
Assorted zoas and palys
Green acropora
20-25lbs live rock and 20 pounds of sand
All the corals are smalled frags

You do not state, if and how often you do water changes? Is it RO/DI water?
Aptasia comes in as a hitchhiker. Its pretty normal, if you buy live rock. There are fish and some inverts, who will eat them. Or just take care of manually with aptasia x, thick alk paste, vinegar, the list is endless.

Velvet is introduced, either by a fish from an infected store or by water from an infected store. The red slime and algy problems will go away, once your husbandry (water changes are increased with clean water and a good salt)

You say you tested the water? What tests did you perform and what are the results? How much do you feed? What do you feed?

calcium, ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, Carb Hardness, alk phosphate for tests they all test fine according to the parameters in the test. I change 10%-25% every 2-4 weeks mix with and top off with RO water. I feed the fish with Mysis shrimp 4-5 times a week and I feed the coral a powder(forget the name) 2 times a week.

I would ditch the coral food your not ready for it and prob polluting your system. also I would look into another food besides mysis (assume frozen) and definatly cut it down to like 3-4 times a week for a while... just make sure all the fish eat

try testing the water 4 times in one day spread out over the day and see what kind of swings are happening . The answer is there you just haven't seen it yet . Nitrates should not be above 10 and phos above 0.1 anything under that is Ideal . above that and you will start to see problems and get less growth ( except for some which seem to thrive in those conditions ) But most do not Post up all the results for some input Good luck !!!!!

Back