tank raised clowns vs captured

JenC

UGH!!
I would like to put 2 clowns in a 12 gallon nano delux with a rbta... I am not sure if the clowns I am getting are tank raised or not... will they host in the anemone? I hear that if they are tank raised they will not. Also does anyone see a problem with putting a rbta in a 12 gallon JBJ nano delux?

I don't know anything scientfic like Cindy but my clowns were tank bred and they try and host everything.

I have tank rasied maroon and perc pairs.

the maroons took to BTA's instantly (natural host). The percs took a while, but eventually did host in BTA's also. Currently the percs are hosing in BTA's and the maroons are hosting in a toadstool leather (sarcophyton SP?), (because they are now in a tank with no anemones).

The percs took some time, but then one day they found the BTA's and never left.

Hosting instinct is strong, give em time.

Typically tank-raised clowns are much more resistant to infection and hardy due to the lack of stress from capture and transport across the ocean and lack of exposure to pathogens in the wild. Also, they are more familar with human 'feeders' and human interaction so usually are much more interactive. I think a lot of captive raised fish are gown-out in fairly plain tanks with lots of tank-mates so the addition into an aquarium would be a huge new world to explore.

I hope that this helps.

Jamison

With I believe that tank raised are more comfortable in our tanks which makes them slightly less likely to live in an anemone that is not their specific natural wild host. They usually do come around, but it could take weeks or months. Wild caught are by no means a guarantee in an anemone that is not their natural wild host, but they have been chased and threatened with being eaten if they leave an anemone most of their lives, so they generally try to get their butts into something anemoneish. I strongly recommend tank raised for the other reasons mentioned below.

Since we're talking about ocellarous or percs in a BTA (that's the only anemone I would attempt in a 12g) you have things going for you and against you. BTAs are an anemone that they are less likely to dive right into, but getting a very healthy one helps a lot. The good thing is that in a small tank like that they don't have much choice about where they hang out and they will likely discover the anemone pretty quickly.

As for the size of the tank, in my opinion, the jury is still out. I am trying BTAs in an 8 gal which is much smaller than recommended. So far so good, but long term success is still a long way off. If you have a regular display tank to work with and use for frequent large water changes, your big concern will be lighting and temperature.

I'm not will versed in minimum lighting for BTAs nor what is in the nano deluxe, but the BTA in my oceanic biocube is staying dark and looking good. it sometimes extends to cover the whole top inch of water in the tank though.

Water temperature is a tough one. I'm still working on keeping it stable enough for me to be happy keeping anemones in here.

Hope that helps

(WC perc and locally TR O. clowns in a BTA in my 8g)

Attachments

• DSC04643.JPG
    DSC04643.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Wild collected clowns (so I've been told by some LFS folks) often suffer from the clownfish disease Brooknella. Apparently it's not the easiest disease to cure either. If the species you are interested in can be found tank raised, I suggest you go with them.

I don't have the first hand experience to say that its impossible, but 2 24w 50/50 power compact lights is FAR from the ideal conditions for a BTA. I don't know what kind of budget you have to work with, but if you are dead set on having this in your nanocube, then I would seriously consider getting a new hood that is modded with a MH.

I bought a NC 12 DX that already had the 70w MH mod. I don't have a BTA in there, but judging from how happy all of the various SPS are, I'd say a BTA should be able to thrive. The modded hoods are pretty pricey though. I was lucky and got a great deal on mine from a fellow BRS member.

Jacko how do you deal with the temp with a halide in a 12 gallon, I am having a hell of a time keeping the temp in the parameters of just the pc's.

Back