Tank transfer method.

JohnK

Staff member
BRS Member
Who's doing it?
Who has some experience to share?
Has it worked as well as advertised?

I'm @ half way through my first use of tank transfer with a few gobies and It's looking good so far. Much less stress than copper or hypo.

Did it twice!
Both doing 15 day vs 12 day (just for safety).
Coming up on my final 3 weeks of QT. Did TT for the 15 days then in QT since (going to be 84 days total due to fallow period from ich).
Not one issue at all and fish never showed signs of stress ! Eating never slowed and no fatalities.

And did this with some very sensitive/delicate fish, ex:Achilles Tang,Copper Banded Butterfly and Morish Idol.

Are there any good links that you guys can provide that describe Tank Transfer and how it works? Looks like all the Google searches take me to forums with people asking "Does it work?", "Have you tried it?", etc. I was looking to see if there was any actual documentation of the effectiveness and how it works.

I don't have links, but I was able to find a pretty good explanation on reef central. Look for a thread with multiple pages. I am half way through my first time as well (Foxface and firefish) so far so good.

So I've finished the treatment and now it's observation time. So far, the fish seem completely content and calm. No signs of parisites at all.

Most things I've read seem to say that a 30 day observation period should be next, before adding the fish to the display. I'm a bit concerned about NOT changing the QT water for 30 days. This QT is NOT truely cycled, so what will happen in 30 days?

Thinking I might just keep doing tank transfers since they don't seem to stress the fish much if at all.

This is when bacteria in a bottle is your friend. You need some good surface area of course, so a sponge filter, filter pads, floss, or even live rock. Getting the tank cycled would be easier than continuous tank transfers I would think.

I set-up a 55g right at the beginning of TT and was concerned about the same.
Get an ammonia badge (which I was not overall impressed w/reliability) and test for ammonia daily or as needed depending on bio-load.
In the video I posted a few weeks back in regards to Feeding Time my bio-load was, Id say, medium on a brand new start-up tank. All I've been doing over the last 30 days is a 50% water change every 5-7 days and ammonia has been undetectable :)

Yesterday was actually my day "72" of fallow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! However going to 84 days just to be sure (to many variables on fallow period).

Back