Teflon PIPE Dope - My new friend.

maurod

Non-member
How many of you have teflon taped a pipe, screwed it into a pump and split the pump flange? (Ok it's just me...) How many of you have teflon taped a pipe joint but had it leak anyway?

Well, I don't know if you've run into the above problems, but I have, and today, no amount of teflon tape would seal this 1.5" threaded pvc fitting.

I found the solution! Teflon based pipe dope! It's like $6 a can, but a little goes a long way. It's a white paste that seals threads and is evidently reef safe (I checked around a bit on Wet web media and other places and it seems safe...).

You simply paint on some of this paste on to your threads and screw them together as normal.... no fighting with teflon tape, no fittings that are too tight to screw on/off.... the stuff never sets hard and is good for some stupid number of psi, (I am using it on the output of a Sequence 3200).

I wish I had thought of using this stuff sooner. I hope this saves you all pain in the future.
M.

Thanx for the tip on dope on a rope...ooops, sope on a dope, ugh, pipe on a dope, damn,..crack in the pipe. I'll remember the stuff...I hope, hope on dope.

Back