The Clowns, The Anemone and The SPSs

Armando

v 4.0
I'd like to hear about experiences keeping Clowns, Anemones and SPSs in the same tank.

I had to remove my rose BTA because it became too large and was touching and killing part of my SPSs.

Now my clowns miss the BTA but I can't put him back.

Why can't they all get along? :D

Maybe I could get "short tentacles" anemones, like carpets? Which anemone are more "SPS safe"?

Carpets are SPS safe, but most people say it will not be fish safe :D

Mine are safe with fish and sps and leathers and roses and........well you know.....

I can tell you really like your rose.
I like your rose too, but i can not afford $100 :D

Why get another anemone? I like by lil' bta, but will probably be in the same scenario when it gets larger.

Why chose another when your clowns will most likely host with ANYTHING else. Try a cool LPS like hammer, spawn, bubble or torch.

My clowns have hosted with EVERYTHING in my tank BUT my BTA.

Dave

Currently in this tank i have a hammer and xenia, but they are in a far far away corner. I'll try to move the hammer into a prime spot (probably where the anemone was) or put the frogspawn in the tank and see if the clowns move in.

Hammer's got a better sting that a BTA IME... Armando, why not try putting it in a safe place in your reef, I got mine to stick to one end in the back corner where I've got the over flow, the back of the tank, and the side of the tank on 3 sides of it and only have to worry about what's in front of it (hydnophora doesn't seem to mind being there too much). I've also heard of people putting some LR inbetween the BTA and their SPS so as to form a wall, might give it a try

Brian that's what I was doing. But now the BTA is 12"+ round and it takes a lot of space in the tank. And there's also that voice always whispering over my shoulders "Are you sure the BTA didn't move?", "Are you sure is not sitting on top of your Oregon Blue Tort?", "Maybe it went through the Tunze and is now a billion small deteriorating rose pieces?"

Armando, I have kept Rose BTA with SPS in the past. From experience, the BTA are more prone to move around your reeftank (as you've found out) and sting/kill sps corals as it touches them.

I currently keep a blue haddoni carpet in my reef with a pair of black saddlebacks. The haddoni carpet is still in the same spot I placed it when I added it to my tank. It has never moved. Mine is down at the bottom of the tank in about 4-5 inches of sand.

Some people have reported that the anemone has eaten fish in their reeftanks. I haven't had any problems and the carpet has probably been in my tank for about 3 years. In that time, it has consumed quite a few snails and hermit crabs.

Personally, I think an SPS tank should not have an anemone in it at all. If your goal is to have a thriving sps tank, then dedicate it to 100% sps corals. I've given thought to getting rid of the anemone, but it's a pretty cool reef inhabitant.

Mike i might do what you just recommended. The carpets are really cool too. I have a blue and a green "on hold" for a day so i might just get one of them and sell the BTA. Blue is pretty pricey though..

I've seen Mike's carpet, and it's really pretty. Just make sure you do that trick so it doesn't eat your fish - I forget what it is - Mike knows. It has something to do with how you place them in the sand.

Armando,

where are you holding the carpets? i would like to take a look, hopefully not an online. i would not ship anemones in this temp

Hi Daire,

The "trick" (and this can be confirmed by Chuck Spy) is to not allow the anemone to lay flat on the sandbed. This is accomplished by either placing the anemone so that it's foot is right against a piece of rock in the tank or by placing rocks around the oral disk so that it can't lay flat.

FWIW, I've had an anemone in an SPS tank for about 7 years. Fortunately for me it never really moves around. It is not a BTA, it might be a long tentacle, but I've never really been able to id it. My maroon clowns have been happy in it for the past 7 years as well. Unfortunately, the anemone is rather....well...ugly, just brown. But it is nice to know that it's done well all these years.

check this out

Armando, I had a problem with various hosts for my tru perc clown mated pair. They killed aleveopora,& a few other lps in the past. I remember reading way back on garf that they were having good succes with using toadstool leathers for clown hosts. At the time my toadstool was really small. Once it got bigger the clowns fell in love with it & have used it for a host for more than two years with no ill effects. Check out this little bugger buried in it's host.

Attachments

• MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 274
Anemone Tips and Tricks

When I first set up my tank, I decide that I wanted to keep at least 1 anemone. Since the ocellaris clowns are my favorite, I did some research on clowns and host anemones. Of course, according to Murphy's law, I found out that these clowns are more fussy than most and that one of their favorite host anemones (Heteractis Magnifica) was not strongly recommended back then. The reasons for not keeping them are still valid however....each time an anemone is taken from the ocean a clown fish or fishes lose a haven of protection agains predators. Also, anemones live for many years in the wild and it is a shame if one keeps one only to see it live out only a small fraction of its natural lifespan. Please, if you decide to get an anemone...do a lot of research and preparation anmd you will be rewarded with years of beauty and a good conscience.

Well I decided to press on and read some of Joyce Wilkerson's great articles on clown fish and anemones. (She is one of the foremost experts on breeeding clownfish and host anemones....she also has a book that is a great investment Clownfish and their Host Anemones). Thankfully my first two anemonies (the Heteractis and the Hadonni) will be my last and have been doing great for almost 5 years now.

The tips I got from my reading (for the heteractis, and pretty much applicable to other species) are as follows:

1. Put the anemone close to a lamp, directly under it, if possible
2. When first placed, feed the anemone dialy for a week or two. Just a little food each day is required.
3. Add clowns that will live with the anemone.
4. Leave a lot of "growth" space between the edge of the anemone and any frags or coral colonies.
5. Never force feed an anemone
6. Anemones under intense lighting do not need to be fed much at all.
7. Place the anemone on the highest peak in your tank.
8. You can discourage an anemone from moving by pointing a powerful water flow device perpendicular to the direction of the anemone's getaway path ! Since anemones hate strong velocity flow, the creature will cease advancing along this path and may even retreat to it's previous position.

Placing the anemone directly under intense lighting will discourage it from moving, since it has a natural affinity for high lighting. This is also the reason to place the anemone high in your tank....If it is lower than the peak it will climb the rocks to try and position itself closer to the light source. Feeding the anemone in the beginning also establishes the anemone'e territory as a good place to "catch" food and will discourage it from moving. However, in general, anemones do not need to be fed daily or even weekly after they are established. If you DO feed them they will grow like crazy. I have kept both a Haddoni Carpet and a Heteractis Magnifica for 5 years and I feed them maybe once every month or two. They are healthy and are not outgrowing my tank (yet). My late investigation has revealed that the old adage " feed your anemone alot" is not a necessity. In fact, if the anemone is not getting it's required nourishment, it can digest parts of its body, to a certain point, which will tend to shrink it. So it depends on your goals....fast growth or slow growth or static growth.

If you want to get lot's of growth from the anemone, make sure to leave a lot of space around it.....most anemones will sting any and all corals and corals don't like to be stung ! (I don't like it either....especially when I am cleaning my tank).

I have 2 mated ocellaris clowns that live in the heteractis and a big fat clarkii that lives in the haddoni carpet. The ocellaris clowns breed like clokwork every 14 days or so and provide a good food source for all twice a month. The 2 anemones are on opposite sides of the tank and for the first 3-4 years all was fine....until clarkii decided that one anemone is not enough. Over the past year or two he has started swimming over to the heteractis to bully the ocellaris fishes. Thankfully, no damage has been down to either the fishes or the anemone...except for fish chasing and dramatic standoffs. And clarkii always goes to bed in his favorite anemone...The Green Carpet Haddoni Mattress where he sleeps on his side like a little baby...

Mike Accardi is correct....building a rock wall around the Haddoni will discourage it from trapping fish that like to spend time near the sand. These are the fish most likely to get eaten since the Hadonni hunts for fish close to the sand by folding over its body and trapping fish by grabbing them from the top of their bodies. I have never seen fish swim directly into the Carpet from above and be eaten. I have had a few Mandarins, Blennies, and small Wrasses become Haddoni food. I have also witnessed the Carpet pulling the legs off of my Serpent Stars as well (yuk)....but they grow their legs back.

that's great information Chuck. I can now make an educated decision between getting a carpet or following Jeff's suggestion to have the clowns host in a toadstool, that's a cool idea.

It's Brian

We've never met in person so I'll forgive you for not knowing my name. :D
It took a little time for the clowns to adapt to the toadstool like I said. I think the cause was the size of it when I got it. (Toadstool that is) The article I read did claim that it may take a little time for the clowns to get familiar with the toadsool. I just figured when they didn't move in right away that they were not going to but sure enough with a little time they did!! They are like hand & glove now!!!

Back