Thinkers-Please help me figure out ATO design for my 10 gal nano

stevel48

Non-member
I want an ATO for my 10gal nano but the RO water would be pumped straight into the tank since i have a canister filter and not a sump. what are some other ways to set up the ATO so it doesnt dump right into the tank.

can the canister have a bulkhead and a 1 way valve to introduce the water from the RO container via my external pump?

Is there a small HOB that might do? liek a penguin?

Descibe you plan/idea bleow please.

Thanks in advance. steve

You could drill the tank and make a small pvc "snorkel" where its slightly higer than the top of the tank and the water would rip into that and slowly difuse into the bottom of the tank and maybe past a heater if you have one.

How are you topping off now? I assume you are just dumping fresh RO water into the tank. I pump straight into my tank using the JBJ ATO and an Aqualifter pump. The pump is never on for more than 20 seconds at a time. I actually dose limewater this way.

Ditto, I did the same with a simple float switch (the little white kind, bought it from a hobbiest/entrapeneur on nano-reef.com) attached to a powerhead with a hose in a 5 gallon bucket. I also added a dilute kalk via this manner.

Are you more concerned about the freshwater inflow or the aesthetics?

I don't think the cannister filter would work, but I'm having trouble picturing it. If the check valve failed, would you pump your tank out into your top-off bucket?

Abby

more concerned about the the freshwater inflow. The tank's full of water and life now so I cant drill. i guess i'll jsut use a float switch in the tank witht he feed from the RO water pump diffusing in a spray bar.

I wouldn't be concerned. You are not adding enough fresh water that you would affect pH, Salinity or Temp.

If you have consistent evaporation, you can just put an aqualifter pump on a timer with a flow valve (saves money on a float switch). Figure out how much you lose a day, turn the valve to 1 drop a second (est. 20 drops per mL), then figure out how long you need to have the pump on every day to cancel out the evaporation. Still needs a quick check daily, but most of the time you don't have to do anything, just top off extra every now and then to make up for extra evaporation.

I posted a DIY the other day on an auto top off but added some extra to it which you don't need.http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48191 Below is another common method of the float switch at the top of the tank. Your hose from a resevior where you mention above using a spray bar or a simuliar method provided the hose from the pump and the spray bar are equal inside diameter. If it's a little tight gently heat the hose and a very, very minimal amount of vegatable oil to slide it on. After rinse real good. The pill bottle is a snail guard. Splice the float switch into an extension cord. Run the ATO off a timer every 4 hrs for 15 minutes to avoid off on off on. Do not use suction cups on a float switch. After time they slime up and loose their hold. Any questions PM me.

OverFlowFloatSwitchSnailGuard.jpg

OverFlowFloatinTank.jpg

OverFlowFloatinTank1.jpg

FloatSwitchSnailGuard.jpg

Back