To replace, or not to replace...

Maybe that Mag pump is causing the temp issue. That size pump seems a bit to much for tank so I assume you got a ball valve to restrict flow?

I do have a ball valve, but I run it wide open. The tank has dual returns fed off of a tee. Also, the pump is rated for 1170gph at 3' and 900gph at 5'. It's roughly at 4'.

With the heaters unplugged and the lids open, the tank runs at about 75 degrees by itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should you replace the pump? Yes, replace them.. Replace any piece of equipments in your tank that is giving you issue. Maxijet is pretty cheap. Buy a new one.
As for the UV, why do you run them? Many people don't run them at all. More equipments will give you more issues.
Carbon isn't really needed but it also depends on what type of reef tank you have.. How often you change water? What type of corals are you keeping?
As for me, GFO is absolutely needed to get rid of Phosphate. Try to run a smaller amount and replace them more often. I read online, it is more effective that way.

What type of reef tank do you want to keep? An SPS tank? A softie tank that gear toward having a Mandarin? or a Mixed reef with a Mandarin?
If you absolutely want a Mandarin, then you have to be prepare to keep a dirtier water with a lot of foods in the tank for pods. This will give you a lot of nitrate and phosphate. Big and effective skimmer, a lot of water change, good water flow and maybe Carbon Dosing (Vinegar, Vodka, BioPellet) will keep Nitrate in check. But for phosphate, you still need GFO to control it.

It is much easier to keep a successful reef tank if you know what kind of corals and fishes you want to keep in it.
Also, the return pump you have is really big for your tank and it is loud and add a lot of heat. An Eheim 1260 would be more suitable to your tank. You don't need to feed Phyto for the pods either.. Uneaten food alone will be enough.. Make sure you don't have any food competitor with the mandarin such as a 6 line wrasse

Last edited:
Should you replace the pump? Yes, replace them.. Replace any piece of equipments in your tank that is giving you issue. Maxijet is pretty cheap. Buy a new one.
As for the UV, why do you run them? Many people don't run them at all. More equipments will give you more issues.
Carbon isn't really needed but it also depends on what type of reef tank you have.. How often you change water? What type of corals are you keeping?
As for me, GFO is absolutely needed to get rid of Phosphate. Try to run a smaller amount and replace them more often. I read online, it is more effective that way.

What type of reef tank do you want to keep? An SPS tank? A softie tank that gear toward having a Mandarin? or a Mixed reef with a Mandarin?
If you absolutely want a Mandarin, then you have to be prepare to keep a dirtier water with a lot of foods in the tank for pods. This will give you a lot of nitrate and phosphate. Big and effective skimmer, a lot of water change, good water flow and maybe Carbon Dosing (Vinegar, Vodka, BioPellet) will keep Nitrate in check. But for phosphate, you still need GFO to control it.

It is much easier to keep a successful reef tank if you know what kind of corals and fishes you want to keep in it.
Also, the return pump you have is really big for your tank and it is loud and add a lot of heat. An Eheim 1260 would be more suitable to your tank. You don't need to feed Phyto for the pods either.. Uneaten food alone will be enough.. Make sure you don't have any food competitor with the mandarin such as a 6 line wrasse

Why UV? This:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456339084.454033.jpg

I was running a BRS dual reactor that had both GFO and Carbon in it. I currently have a small zoa colony, a frog spawn, some anthelia, some random sponges, a birdsnest, and a tyree war coral. I don't change my water. I top off weekly about 2-3 gallons.

What type of tank? A mixed reef that's a hair on the easier side, with a mandarin. A few sps but mainly Zoas and soft corals.

I was told to turn the tank volume over 5-6 times per hour when selecting the pump. 100 gallon volume, dual returns, 1 pump. That gave me the need for 1000-1200gph per hour. This pump comes in just under that at my head height. The pump isn't loud at all, the skimmer is louder.

http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4590

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back