To wash, or not to wash...

dpnshnks

Non-member
I finally gave up with waiting for Home Depot to get some tropical play sand and made the trek out to Sudbury to Russels Garden Center to get me some. From what I gather, we seem to be causing this stuff in high demand! :p The woman at the counter looked at me and said "You're from that fish club, aren't you."

Anyway, just a quick question. As you've probably guessed, I'm wondering if I should've taken the time to have rinsed off the sand. The more I look at my refugium, the more I think I should've done it. It would be easy enough to do while still in the refugium, so I'm not overly worried about it, but I'm thinking about replacing some sand in the main tank and that could be a serious problem!

Oh, yes, and I do realize that the water will eventually clarify again, it was the foam that took me by surprise, that's all. Thanks for the input and to the people who found out about Russels!

Eric

The woman at the counter looked at me and said "You're from that fish club, aren't you."

haha, that cracks me up.

anyway, if it helps, I didn't rince my sand

actually i just read a post on RC(anthony calfo) where it was recomended not to rinse but to presoak(SW or FW) for days to week before adding the sand then no clouding will take place. reasoning for not rinsing is the fine dust\particles make a great alk buffers for monthe to come.

I'd rinse the sand if you're adding it to your stocked tank.

When I started my current tank I rinsed all the sand about 4 times, and it cleared in less than a day.

I didnt rinse in my 92 and had cloudy water for a few days. I rinsed in my 37cube and had no cloudy water.

I have done it both ways and was much happier with the rinsed. I still had cloudy water every time a goby or something stirred the sand for three months (then I broke down the tank) with the unrinsed. No sandstorms no matter what I do with the rinsed. I think the rocks and corals look better too because they don't have silt landing on them all the time. I know most reefers will disagree, but I really like the well rinsed much better. Lots of people will say don't rinse, but then give advice on how to filter your tankwater to get the silt out faster. Doesn't make sense to me.

If you want a happy medium, rinse, but let the sand settle for 20 minutes before you pour off the water every time. That will get rid of the dust, but not the smallest sand particles.

I rinsed mine 4-5 times before putting it in my display tank. Cleared up within approximately 4 hours.

Wow, thanks for the great resonses, even if they were a bit for either side. I put the sand in the fuge a day ago and the water was just starting to become clear when I plopped a mangrove in. Now it's all clouded with silt again. So, if I ever get daring enough to replace the sandbed, I'm gonna have to rinse it so I don't wind up killing everything in the tank! Unless fish don't mind breathing dirt. :p

Eric

if you use a magnet glass cleaner, watch for metal and other things. they will scatch up a new tank.

I know the family who owns Russell's... whenever I go in they ask if I'm working on the Koi Pond or the reef :) They have a nice water garden section. Lots of plumbing parts too. I should have posted this long ago! I've been able to get parts from there when I can't find them elsewhere.

D

Back