Tropical Play Sand

Brid96

Non-member
Hey Everyone,

I was at the HomeDepot in Watertown at the arsenal mall today. They have "Kolorscape" 40 lb bags ($3.99) of white play sand, like 2 or 3 pallets worth. I did the vinegar test and it fizzed. From what I reecall that is the green light to use it. Havent put it in the tank yet, but its there for the taking if anyone needs sand. I was extremely surprised to find that they ahd it, Wasnt really expecting results.

Brian

I bought some a week ago, but didn't do the fizz test. Good to know its good for our tanks!
Thanks,
Ron

Picture

I dont have a pitcure but it looks alot like anothr brand (i think durascape) Clear and Light Blue. I can take a picture latter if you want...

Brian

PS looking for some Live rock to set up my 12 Gallon Wall mount.

I found the same sand today at Walmart (of all places !) in Avon, MA.
Less than $3 a bag, I think it was 40 or 50 lbs.
I'll try to get a pick.
No vinegar test yet, hopefully soon.

The sand looks like my old bags of Southdown (size\color).

try passing a large magnet over it. heard a while ago someone did it with a brand and it picked up a lot of metal fibers even though it was labelled "play sand"

Ummm i saw it there too but i read that it has traces of silica in it on the bag which is why i didn't purchase it.

I looked at a ripped bag and looked at the sand and the sand grains were mainly crystalline (silica probably)

Some of my prior research on the subject of soluble/total silica in reef tank systems has lead me to believe some people actually dose their reef tanks with soluble silica to support the variety of organisms that potentially use it (including sponges or limpets).

The best article I've read so far is by Randy Holmes-Farley, Ph.D, and discusses the topic of silica in reef systems. Here is the link:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2003/feature.htm

my two cents -
There's lots of talk about using purely silica based sand without any problems.
If this is a blend of silica and calcium based sands, I won't mind.

In fact, before I found this, I was planning on a blend of some live southdown from one of my existing tanks, what's little dry southdown I have left, and some pool filter sand from Namco (I use that for my freshwater planted tanks).

As far as the fizz test - if you drop a little vinegar on a sample of the sand, and it fizzes - its calcareous, not silica (or at least not purely silica).

The bag I got specifically said "not for aquarium use" which in my mind means not for Freshwater aquarium use (still at least 75% of the hobby) which makes me think it is calcareous (since calcareous sand will raise the pH in most FW aquaria) rather than purely silica based - my swimming pool filter sand is all silica and carries no such warning.
Also - I didn't see the respiratory danger warnings I usually see on silica sand packaging, and this one specifically said "safe for children" - which was part of the marketing angle for the old Southdown sand - aragonite or other coral sands are supposed to be safer than silica sands...

Like I said, I haven't had a chance to test this stuff yet, or to really check it out - but I can't see how it can be any worse than the 100% silica sand that our last speaker had in a dsb for over 19 years !

I just went to Walmart to pick up a couple bags of the KolorScape but chickened out...... It just doesn't look right..... Too much shine to it and doesn't even look like sand.....

kolorscape at home depot

I tried the vinegar test on the Kolorscape sand and it did fizz; but a little differently than my Carib-Sea Aragonite Live Sand from my tank. It seems to have some larger bubbles and the foam does not stick like the Carib-Sea. The Carib-Sea seems to foam vs Kolorscape just bubbles and the bubbles pop away leaving very little foam. Not sure what this means. The color of the Kolorscape is shiny and more white. My Carib-Sea is "Bahamas Oolitic" which is more tan/beige in color.

Here's a Photo of the Kolorscape Bag:

As you can see, the cup on the right is the Carib-Sea and the left is Kolorscape. The Carib-Sea leaves more foam, but both bubbles about the same rate. There is a warning label that states the sand contains small amounts of crystalline silica.

WARNING
This product contains small amounts of crystalline silica [CAS 14808-60-7], a common mineral found in natural sands and stones. Excessive inhalation of respirable silica dust may cause cancer and lung disease. Avoid breathing dust. Wear approved respirator in dusty areas. First aid; move to fresh air - see MSDS for additional information.

Product Distributed by:
Oldcastle Retail, Inc.
8201 Arrowbridge Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28273

Attachments

• kolorscape.jpg
    kolorscape.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 3,114
  • kolorscape2.jpg
    kolorscape2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 2,452
Whats the verdict on this stuff? Has anyone tried it yet? Am looking to set up my 40g breeder, and need some sand. I'm not going to use it if there have been any problems.

WARNING
This product contains small amounts of crystalline silica [CAS 14808-60-7], a common mineral found in natural sands and stones. Excessive inhalation of respirable silica dust may cause cancer and lung disease. Avoid breathing dust. Wear approved respirator in dusty areas. First aid; move to fresh air - see MSDS for additional information.

If it's ideal for sandboxes, then why is there a caution against inhalling the dust?

If you really want to see how much silica is in a sample sand you can just add a tiny bit to acid (acetic [vinegar], or hydrochloric [muriatic at the hardware store). Whatever is left behind is not calcium carbonate.

I have used it

Used it year and a half ago and just got a new bag at home depot in South Boston when I changed over my tank and rinsed it three times for half an hour or so and it is great . Then again I may not be a good example for others.

Back