Tropical Play Sand

I know a person who has ordered from them in the past and he as always recomeded them for an alternative ... but the forum (reeffreaks.com) i use to visit no longer exists.

My friend is from Arkansas and I had shipped him a bag of SD, back about two years ago when I had a surplus, via UPS but after shipping costs he determined that going through them was equal to me shipping it less the aggravation. So as far as an estimate on a cost per bag... Im assuming it would be as expensive as buying a bag of SD and shipping it to Arkansas ...

But from what I remember their price was relativley reasonable ... somewhere around 15 dollars a bag if remember correctly.

Ill do a little leg work on this and see what I can come up with ... I have never dealt with them personally ... and the phone being disconnected does alert flags with me.

I placed an email with them and see where it goes from there. They have links to retailers around the country ill try searching the web and contacting them to see if they still are in business.

They use to sell and ship by the bag, but maybe they only ship in bulk to retailers or group buys now. Maybe they changed their number to eliminate nuisensce hobbyists and now only deal in bulk or retailers... ill do some leg work and and try to get to the bottom of it.

Len

I just put in an order request for 2 tons...we'll see what he comes back with.

testhead1313 said:
Daire setting up another tank? ;)

:D Ha .... I think Daire might but not Kevin.

right now 7 projects booked for the spring
the smallest a 210
largest 1000+

I hate the idea of buying carib-sea for all of them :(

marco67 said:
Have you seen it touched it ? (not the same)

You almost have the full story but not quite, they did purchase southdown but shut it down and no longer offer a pue aragonite product.
Trust me I've spent many hours on this one....
BTW Len thanks for that link....That guy is on the ball, but the phone is disconected :confused:

Yes I have. I have it in my tank and have a little extra left over here as well. I dont feel/see a difference. Also Penman bought a Pallet of it about a year ago from Agway, same place I got mine.

testhead1313 said:
Woah... Is this for a member, or a business, or...? Is that tank volume, or total volume?

Private home, Water front new construction it will be a room divider between the gormet kitchen and the solarium. Display volume is ~750 gallons. My design work is not finished yet but there will be another 300 or so in support water.

stang8s said:
Yes I have. I have it in my tank and have a little extra left over here as well. I dont feel/see a difference. Also Penman bought a Pallet of it about a year ago from Agway, same place I got mine.
Glad your happy with it

marco67 said:
Private home, Water front new construction it will be a room divider between the gormet kitchen and the solarium.
Just out of curiosity, and you don't have to answer this, but is this setup for a hobbyist, or rather just..... hmmm "fashionable"?

The clients are very interested in the hobby and interested in being involved in the up keep...But I wouldn't call them hobbyists....YET

Marco-
Is there something about the Yardright that you feel isnt as good or dont like? What am I missing? I know alot of people are using it besides myself and there are lots of threads on reefcentral and other boards besides this one where people interchange the two as being the same.
Thanks
Jeff

Jeff use whatever you like,
I've had both, I read RC and I've talked with the reps from yardright. Based on those conversations and what I saw, I bought 6 tons of the southdown. Thats all

I understand that, I was just hoping to learn something from what you have found out. rather then just that its not as good, or not the same.

For what ever it's worth I had a talk with Ron Shimek this afternoon about substrates and the differences. As far as he's concerned it's more important to have different sized particles then to have a sand bed that's argonite. He even advised that the "Play Sand" thati I purchased that haas trace amounts of silica is fine for our use. The silica is not a substance that will disolve in salt water.

Nope , Phone disconected and no return e-mail.
I guess the sand business was no day at the beach.

Back