Tropical Play Sand

I just took a better look at mine and tried the test Greg suggested - there was plenty of sand left over after adding a bit to some vinegar.

Also - this is a bit "chunkier" than my southdown - it looks to me like a blend of southdown and larger grained silica sand.

The grains also seem a bit less rounded than the swimming pool filter sand I use for my freshwater tanks.
I'm probably going to use some of this along with some "classic" southdown, some "used" southdown from one of my other tanks, and some of the swimming pool filter sand.

>I just took a better look at mine and tried the test Greg suggested - there was plenty of sand left over after adding a bit to some vinegar.<

To complete the test you need to add more vinegar. If there is no additional bubbling, then all calcium carbonate has been dissolved.

I just bought 10 bags of "Imerys Play Sand" at Bridgewater farm supply. The bag says its composed of limestone and dolomitic limestone. It also says that there is "trace amounts" of silica. It is bright white. Looked great to me so I got it.

Back