Two Chamber Sump Question

viking

Non-member
I'm picking up a two chamber 10 gallon Amiracle sump (20x10x14) from a member tonight and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on splitting the second chamber in two? I want to be able to add a small fuge area to this setup. I need the following equipment to go into the sump:

- Hydor Slim Skim Nano
- MJ 1200 (for dual reactor)
- 150w Heater (13")
- Return Pump TBD

There is one divider between the first and second chamber. The opening for water is at the bottom of the divider. I was going to place some live rock at the bottom to ensure that no bubbles get to the second chamber and add some additional filtration.

The second chamber has a tray that was used for bioballs. I was thinking about putting the tray in and resting the return pump on top. I would put the chaeto under the tray in the second section. If i put egg crate on top of the second section I could place the light on top of that which would need to be strong enough to penetrate through the bioball tray below.

The intake for my skimmer is at the top, so I will need to have the water level up around 9".

Please take a look at the design below and tell me what you think. Will this work? I haven't seen anything like this in any online research. Sump.jpg

wow, your design looks pretty cool!

Just a couple of things:

In optimal conditions, Chaeto grows like crazy; so want to have easy access to remove the excess. So make sure you can do that without removing the plumbing for the return etc etc.

Secondly, you probably want to secure the tray on which the return pump is rather well ... maybe add some sort of soft padding. I'm afraid the vibration from the return pump might drive you insane ;)

lastly, you do not need to put the fuge light on top; you can shine it through the side; works just fine. We used one of those clip-on led lights, and our Chaeto grow pretty well.

wow, your design looks pretty cool!

Just a couple of things:

In optimal conditions, Chaeto grows like crazy; so want to have easy access to remove the excess. So make sure you can do that without removing the plumbing for the return etc etc.

Secondly, you probably want to secure the tray on which the return pump is rather well ... maybe add some sort of soft padding. I'm afraid the vibration from the return pump might drive you insane ;)

lastly, you do not need to put the fuge light on top; you can shine it through the side; works just fine. We used one of those clip-on led lights, and our Chaeto grow pretty well.

Very good points. What do you think I could use to cushion the vibration? Maybe glue some suction cups to the bottom of the return pump? Not sure what "cushiony" material is reef safe.

For plumbing I plan on going all flex with a couple of gate valves to regulate the flow. Hopefully that gives me the flexibility I need to access the chaeto section and do some pruning from time to time.

Very good points. What do you think I could use to cushion the vibration? Maybe glue some suction cups to the bottom of the return pump? Not sure what "cushiony" material is reef safe.

Maybe put a few even little beads of silicone on the bottom? Never tried, I think I've read of people doing it before....

I would dump the bio ball tray, place the return down on the bottom. The water level will vary and best to have it low. Also then the chaeto can stay above. Just build a egg crate cage around the return if you want to separate it?
People use plain black mouse pads under the return pumps with no issues. RC has some threads on the use of mouse pads...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back