Two part GFO question

creatureteacher

Non-member
I'm noticing some color change (green to brown) on my montis and a slowing of growth all around which seems to be a classic phosphate problem. My phosphates are around .05 ppm according to the cheesy little test kit I have so who knows. The tank is 10 months old and I did not start it with any GFO. Here's my two part question:
1. I don't have room for a reactor as it is a nano tank so can I use a GFO pad in the overfow?
2. How can I add this to the system without running the risk of RTN or STN in my corals?

phosar can be used without a dedicated reactor

as for rtn, just watch your alk because adding gfo does tend to drop alk when it is added

I have had issues with Phosphates, slow sps growth and algae blooms and just recently added GFO. I am using Phoslock by PURA. It comes with a filter bag, not as effective as a reactor but it will work. I added 3 TBS for 30 gallons, after two weeks I have not noticed any RTN or other issues. There is also a hang on reactor by ViaAqua, its about $50.00 and comes with a pump. GL

Their is another solution I have used in the past its called

Blue Vet Phosphate control (I think its also called Blue Life).

Its a liquid you put drops into your tank and it binds to the phosphates and then they get filtered out ( you need a food filtration system).

I have used this to drop my phosphates when they were high (I now run GFO).

Be careful to read the instructions because I believe it can affect your fish if its not filtered out correctly.

Its also refered to as Lithium Chloride I believe

John

Back