2 part question

Pjy95

BRS Member
1) not the the greatest pic but it’s the best I could get last night, you’ll probably have to zoom in can mainly see them on head in the picc , noticed these white spots on my tang last night I was pretty involved with the tank yesterday and didn’t notice these until later at night has one on each fin and then on the head any ideas on what this could be ? When I left for work this morning I didn’t notice the dots

2) I’m gonna yank him out of the tank and throw him in a 20gallon. Currently don’t have a QT set up can I just mix a batch of water throw a heater , power head and light in there and call it a day ? Or do I have to cycle the tank first ?

Attachments

• IMG_7576.jpeg
    IMG_7576.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 52
Can’t really tell by the picture but if your getting white spots that look like grains of salt that is generally ich. You should always put a fish like a tang in a cycled tank but in your case that’s not an option. The problem you run into is that most people treat parasites with a copper type medicine. Copper can affect a biological filter in the short run so with you trying to set up a qt tank on the fly and then trying to treat ghe fish it’s tough. If you setting up a qt I would get some bottled live bacteria to help cycle it and lower the stress of the fish as best as possible. Add garlic to the food. Some people do freshwater baths for a few minutes to help kill fish but my experience is 50/50 between fish dying/it not helping and just causing more stress

1) not the the greatest pic but it’s the best I could get last night, you’ll probably have to zoom in can mainly see them on head in the picc , noticed these white spots on my tang last night I was pretty involved with the tank yesterday and didn’t notice these until later at night has one on each fin and then on the head any ideas on what this could be ? When I left for work this morning I didn’t notice the dots

2) I’m gonna yank him out of the tank and throw him in a 20gallon. Currently don’t have a QT set up can I just mix a batch of water throw a heater , power head and light in there and call it a day ? Or do I have to cycle the tank first ?
You need something that’s cycled in the quarantine tank, I have media I pull from my display sump when I run my QT and replace it so I always have stock for instance.

That looks like ich to me, you can treat in the QT with copper and let him sit for several weeks to be safe. Unfortunately ich is in your system now and to eradicate it you’ll need to fallow your tank for several months to starve to parasite.

Copper is not used directly in reef tanks because it will absorb into the sand and rocks and leech out over time killing coral. Messes with cellular metabolism.

Assuming it's ick and only ick, tank transfer method could be an option. Useless against anything else, but TTM is effective against ick, takes two weeks, and having a cycled QT is not an issue.

Can’t really tell by the picture but if your getting white spots that look like grains of salt that is generally ich. You should always put a fish like a tang in a cycled tank but in your case that’s not an option. The problem you run into is that most people treat parasites with a copper type medicine. Copper can affect a biological filter in the short run so with you trying to set up a qt tank on the fly and then trying to treat ghe fish it’s tough. If you setting up a qt I would get some bottled live bacteria to help cycle it and lower the stress of the fish as best as possible. Add garlic to the food. Some people do freshwater baths for a few minutes to help kill fish but my experience is 50/50 between fish dying/it not helping and just causing more stress
Ok perfect thank you for the info ! Im actually going to be setting up a separate tank to have running so for now and in then future im better prepared

You need something that’s cycled in the quarantine tank, I have media I pull from my display sump when I run my QT and replace it so I always have stock for instance.

That looks like ich to me, you can treat in the QT with copper and let him sit for several weeks to be safe. Unfortunately ich is in your system now and to eradicate it you’ll need to fallow your tank for several months to starve to parasite.

Copper is not used directly in reef tanks because it will absorb into the sand and rocks and leech out over time killing coral. Messes with cellular metabolism. live rock from my sump work on is that just gonna bring ich into the QT?

Copper is not used directly in reef tanks because it will absorb into the sand and rocks and leech out over time killing coral. Messes with cellular metabolism.
Thank you ! Would live rock from sump work or would that just bring ich into the qt?

Assuming it's ick and only ick, tank transfer method could be an option. Useless against anything else, but TTM is effective against ick, takes two weeks, and having a cycled QT is not an issue.
Ok perfect thank you

Idk what size tank you have, but if your just transferring it to a 20 gallon to treat it then why not do a big water change, use water from your tank in the 20 gallon, along with a rock or 2 from your sump, and you should be good to go. Then you don’t have to worry about adding bacteria, and cycling a tank overnight

Back