Ugh... is this going to ruin my tank?

Tank is so new I wouldn't be dosing peroxide just yet, do a water change and cut back on whatever feedings your doing. Like it says above a little more flow in those areas will usually keep it at bay too
That stuffs usually caused by excess nutrients but your still cycling and it is also pretty normal

Tank is so new I wouldn't be dosing peroxide just yet, do a water change and cut back on whatever feedings your doing. Like it says above a little more flow in those areas will usually keep it at bay too
That stuffs usually caused by excess nutrients but your still cycling and it is also pretty normal
Yah, I'm not really considering it anymore, it seems far to risky. I'm going to cut feedings to every other day for a couple weeks and see how that does it..
Does it grow in stagnant area of tank? Increase flow at the area as well.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
I'd suspect yes, without dye or powder to track flow one could.never really know. I did move rock around to allow for enough room to get my hand in between glass and scape all around the tank. It was fed crowding the front where algae seems worse. I also added another 450 gph powerhead, also moved the surface skimmer back to dt as I was seeing some protein buildup on surface. Feel like I really just improved the tanks performance drastically with those few steps. Protein skimmer is pulling some darkness, nastiest stuff I've seen/smelt yet.. hopefully she pulls through. All the new coral look amazing, dzt's got happy within an hour.. I'd hate to let this brown crap get to them.

I won't dose it in small tanks. For large system seems to be fine. But I still won't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weekly 10% wc is all;) no dosing!! Haha I may do slightly larger, for a few weeks In hopes of removing more excess nutrients.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

If it's diatoms just get some cerith snails and a small fighting conch and it'll clear up in no time

You don't have to use dye, just suck up fine dust in your sand bed and use that to check the flow in the suspected area once the water clears up

I would not cover the tank in cardboard, go down a rabbit hole or fill your tank with hydrogen peroxide, Clariol hair dye #27, tree stump remover or Grand Marnier. You also don't need fighting conches to wrestle with your cerith snails if they don't want to fight. I also have some of that and my tank is almost fifty years old. It is normal for a new tank to have that. Go out to dinner and have a nice dish of spaghetti and clams, try the Merlot. It will all work out and it is part of the enjoyment of this hobby. If nothing ever happened we would call this stamp collecting, now that's a trip. :rolleyes:

I would not cover the tank in cardboard, go down a rabbit hole or fill your tank with hydrogen peroxide, Clariol hair dye #27, tree stump remover or Grand Marnier. You also don't need fighting conches to wrestle with your cerith snails if they don't want to fight. I also have some of that and my tank is almost fifty years old. It is normal for a new tank to have that. Go out to dinner and have a nice dish of spaghetti and clams, try the Merlot. It will all work out and it is part of the enjoyment of this hobby. If nothing ever happened we would call this stamp collecting, now that's a trip. :rolleyes:
Oh man... where were you last night when I brewing a batch of oxyclean and weed killer.. tank is glowing orange, that normal?! Knew I should have just let the cleaning lady take care of it.. she knows reefs and promised not steal anything;) read your thread haha. I'm not do I g anything yet, I gave it a nice 15%wc and manually removed what I could. I'm not really wanting more snails, the turbo In there now may as well be painted yellow and run on diesel..

Last night I was eating spaghetti and clams. Orange glowing tank is normal. A new tank may glow orange, green or fifty shades of gray. :rolleyes:
People get obsessed in this hobby if they see something that does not look like a fish or snail. I get obsessed if a Supermodel gains a pound or retires to become an animal activist who wants to save duck billed platypuses from global warming or cockroaches.
Cyanobacteria, diatoms, hair algae, red tide, bryopsis, flatworms or the heartbreak of psoriasis are normal parts of this hobby and they are all interesting parts of it. I love all of it and it's not like your tank is over run with locusts or emu's. That would be bad and a diatom filter would be needed. But in your case have some desert with that spaghetti and clams and order another glass of Merlot. Enjoy the diatoms or whatever you have and leave the snails in the store with the cardboard.
If that little red bothers you, get one of these manatees. It's 2" of manatee for every 20 gallons of water. The manatees are cheap but the plastic bag they come in is a little pricy. These have some cyano already growing on them.

PS my cleaning Lady is actually here now. She is a Supermodel so it is hard for me to concentrate on your situation, perhaps in an hour I will come up with something else,

You got a photo of your cleaning lady? Is she reef safe?

Been an awful long hour.. Paul must have accidentally fallen in trying to rescue the reef safe super model.

Geez.. I know what my cleaning lady looks like and charges.. can't imagine super model rates.. she must accept pest snails as a form of currency.

My cleaning "Lady" is more like a cleaning "Girl" which is fine with me. She is a Supermodel and I get to look at her. You guys get your own cleaning lady. She cleans too. :D
What was this thread about?.......Oh yeah,, Manatees. :rolleyes:

Fair enough.. it was about algae or some other aquatic ugly.. nnnow it's about manatees!

Manatees are cool, just need a bigger tank:(
I think they clean more than algae, hmmmm...

snooty-bday-cake_754x325.jpg

waoo, I can just paste picture in the thread! cool

Who suggested more flow?!? Think you were correct:) seems to have leveled out, seeing less and less each day.

Back