Ugh here we go

jpr135790

Non-member
I have a yellow tang that as broke. Out with ich and I am going to put him in a quarantine tank with copper and my question is what is a good size for a q tank

Sort of depends how big the fish is, and how long you're planning on leaving it in QT. A 29G would probably be fine as a temporary home.

Just remember:
- you'll have to keep up with water changes and copper testing
- The tank you use the copper in can't be used as a 'normal' tank any longer
- You should have separate nets and equipment for the QT/copper tank

Any other fish in the tank? Is this the only one showing signs?

Treating one fish won't really help. Instead of stressing the fish more by moving it to QT, just feed it well and try to reduce the stress. Garlic/Vitamin soaked food to keep it eating/healthy... let the fish fight the Ich off on its own.

If you truly want to get rid of Ich from your tank look into going fallow, tank transfer, etc.

That's fairly new, any other fish in there? If one fish in the tank has signs, then it's in the tank. Best to make the decision to manage or eradicate.

X beat me to that one lol.

The optimal QT tank should be as big as your display or at least over 75 gallon for a medium size tang. Otherwise a small tank will add stress to the tang.

Yup, it's pointless to remove one fish, treat it, and then return it to the same tank without treating or running the tank fallow.

Yeah if you can't remove them all you might as well just try to keep the water clean and stable and feed them nutritious food and hope for the best.

Ick won't go away, but often it can be managed and lived with. With healthy fish, good feeding, and minimal stress fish can often fight off the infection to the point where you almost never see it. When dealing with Ick you need to choose a strategy, you either seek to eradicate it, or manage it. These threads often get very confusing because you get advice consistent with both approaches at the same time.

To eradicate, you must remove all fish from the system for 10-12 weeks minimum, and at the same time treat all the fish with an effective treatment. The only effective treatments are copper, tank transfer, or hyposalinity (and hyposalinity has fallen out of favor and more or less lost the reputation of being consistently effective). I prefer tank transfer personally.

Do you have any pics of the fish? I'm curious to see what most people get for diseases. Seems like it's always ich but never marine velvet, which I seem to see a lot.

Back