Up in Maine

scase

Non-member
I just came aboard and I'm enjoying the forums. I'm living up here in Maine in the Portland area and would love to make the acquaintance of some reefers up this way!
I'm hoping to get to make it down for the meetings, too.
Sean

Welcome to the club! :) We've got a few members around the Portland/Brunswick area, and even a couple further east. I'm up in Ellsworth, and the chances of me making it down for a meeting anymore are about nil. :eek:

Have you gotten to know the stores around Portland? What's your favorite?

Thanks! I usually frequent Atlantis Marine & Fish in So Portland...
Where do you usually get your stuff?

I broke down my tank when I moved up here a little while ago, and I've been thinking about the next tank, but nothing yet.

I'd probably need to get a lot through mailorder, although we do have one shop here in elsworth that had a pretty good saltwater collection. They have a nice reef display tank, but it's got a ton of bryopsis. They seem to get in a small number of pretty nice fish from time to time, but their holding tanks are extremely small. Like 6x12 inches for a small powder blue tang.

. They have a nice reef display tank, but it's got a ton of bryopsis.

:eek: Maybe they should spike their alk!

They seem to get in a small number of pretty nice fish from time to time, but their holding tanks are extremely small. Like 6x12 inches for a small powder blue tang.

:eek::eek: that's a leetle tank! Where are the tang police when you need them?

Nate, why don't you try and 'educate' them, like those petco nuts over on RC? :rolleyes:

in south portland here. i was telling my wife earlier that one of the things on my "reef to do list" is to stop lurking on these boards and get to a meeting and join.

ty

Nate,
When your ready let me know.. anything that I have is yours to help you get back into it. sand, rock, corals. Whatever...

:eek: Maybe they should spike their alk!
Yeah, I've been debating whether to offer them advice there. I'd think higher alk, and a doliatus would help with their problem, but they don't seem all that concerned with the bryopsis. Maybe they like the color? :p

that's a leetle tank! Where are the tang police when you need them?

Nate, why don't you try and 'educate' them, like those petco nuts over on RC? :rolleyes:
If I ever set up a tank, I'll need them! They're the only store within 100 miles, so I'd better not get kicked out just yet. :)

If I start buying reef stuff there I'd probably feel more comfortable talking husbandry with them though. Until then I'm biting my tongue.

Last edited:
Nate,
When your ready let me know.. anything that I have is yours to help you get back into it. sand, rock, corals. Whatever...
Thanks Kevin! It could happen - you never know. :p

Any stores up near you that carry saltwater, aside from Petco?

yeah.. the guy that owns mainely pets ( I think it was him that you were referring to) next to hannaford opened Pet pro at the Airport mall about two months ago.
Petco. which actually has very knowledgeable reef people in the building and in the Aquatics dept.
and then Vances in Bucksport. those are the big three in Bangor... the other maine based pet store. Pet quarters has extremely limited supply.

did Crystal clear pets close??? He had salt at one point.

Crystal Clear doesn't carry salt (at least I didn't see it when I was there last year), however, they're in the middle of expanding their building (into the parking lot to their right), so perhaps that's something they'll add.

I was referring to the place next to Hannaford - Maine Pet and Aquarium, which is where I go for our other pet supplies, so I'm in there fairly often. I like those owners, so I'll have to look at Pet Pro too. How does the salt section there compare to the Ellsworth Store?

similar design... 2 180 + frag/coral tanks 1 180+ show tank.. in the starting stages.. lots of small 5 gal tanks hooked up to a huge skimmer and holding tank (i guestimate 500 gal in the back.) additionally another 20 or so 20 gal tanks to hold some larger fish and snails/crabs etc.
lots of variety... will get anything... I've enjoyed going in..

Thanks all for the welcome! Nate, let me know when you get your system back up and running. It might be a great opportunity for me to get some insight from someone with more experience. Also, I would be more than willing to lend a hand if you wanted help with anything.
One other thing I was thinking is perhaps some of us could pool orders up here in Maine if anyone needed to do some orders? Just a thought as a way to save some shipping costs here and there...

You're welcome to visit my tank when it exists! :) I'm about 2.5 hours from portland, so you can probably also find willing members closer to you. Looking at other tanks is always a great way to get ideas of how to do things, and learn from some of the experienced members of BRS. I've gotten a ton from such visits.

brsanime.gif

Hey, is anyone from Maine going to be at the meeting this Saturday? Just wanted to know...

Back