Very high alkalinity!

SeaCilla1212

Non-member
Hello everyone I am new to this hobby and I'm trying to get my levels right in my tank. I seem to be having a huge problem with the alkalinity. Right now it's at 19. I believe it's supposed to be between 8 and 10? I have a 55gallon and I am doing a 5gallon water change every other day to help lower the alkalinity. Could u guys give me some tips on what else I can do to lower my alkalinity?

anything in the tank? At 19, would anything be alive? I would retest and test your new salt water also for reference. Maybe have a lfs test it for you?

If you have not added anything to you water those parameters have to be a result of a faulty test kit. Test with another kit.

Have you tested your salinity ? Is 1025-1026 ?

are you dosing 2 part? after confirming the alk level you need to stop dosing and I would do a BIG water change to drop the level.

what corals do you have in that tank currently?

Just sent you a PM with the results from your water tests and your alkalinity is definitely high.

What kind of salt are you using and are you adding anything to it while mixing? I would stop adding anything until you test again.

Are you using any additives at all? (PH "buffer" maybe?)

How are you checking SG?

I sometimes use a ph buffer. But I have never added anything else. I have two fish in there and just re did my aqua scape and put the live rock back in. The only corals in there r a mushroom that got stuck to the rock and Xenia that got stuck to the rock as well. The rest of the corals r in a separate tank waiting for my levels to be correct before I put them in the display. But I'm having trouble getting my levels right. Also I have used two different tests and had someone from the meeting take home a sample and test it as we'll and every test shows it being very high. Should I just keep doing my five gallon water changes every other day?

Just sent you a PM with the results from your water tests and your alkalinity is definitely high.

What kind of salt are you using and are you adding anything to it while mixing? I would stop adding anything until you test again.
I'm using regular instant ocean salt. I thought I was gonna have a fish only tank so I didn't buy the reef crystal salt. But once this big box of instant ocean is done I'm gonna start slowing switching to the reef crystal.

regular IO is not the issue here...it's your dosing. You should def test before dosing anything into your reef. I would test each bag of IO as you open them to get your base line on alk, mag and calcium

With that bioload a 5-10% water change per week will be more than enough to keep your parameters stable. NO dosing of anything.

As suggested measure your fresh made water. Could be is a faulty salt batch. I had a mixed 75G tank full of corals using instant ocean during 4 years and never had a problem. Now there are salts more oriented to reef keeping that have increased Ca, Mag, etc. Like the reef crystal.

Please post the values of your fresh made water.

Ah....almost forget...do not chase pH.

Last edited:
The buffer is the problem.

The way "buffer" additives are marketed is confusing at the least, and probably more accuratly dileberately misleading.
-PH in seawater is a function of Alkalinity and Co2. If the alk is in the normal range for seawater (7-12) then the PH will be in the normal range (7.8-8.4) unless it's driven down by excessive Co2 from the environment.
-If your PH is on the low side of the normal range it's nothing to be concerned about, particularly if your tank is fish only.
-It's very common for homes to have somewhat elevated Co2 in new england in the winter because our houses are closed up all the time. Again, nothing to worry about unless it's really excessive.
-"PH buffers" are Alkalinity additives.
-Aquarium companies like to advertise "PH 8.4" or otherwise try to imply that you should be adding buffer additives regardless of your aquarium's needs.
-In general, monitoring your alk is much more relevant / helpful than monitoring PH.
-Buffers / alk additives should be dosed based on testing and the tank's comsumption, not to correct PH.

So to sum it up, stop adding the buffer and your problem will be solved :)

The buffer is the problem.

The way "buffer" additives are marketed is confusing at the least, and probably more accuratly dileberately misleading.
-PH in seawater is a function of Alkalinity and Co2. If the alk is in the normal range for seawater (7-12) then the PH will be in the normal range (7.8-8.4) unless it's driven down by excessive Co2 from the environment.
-If your PH is on the low side of the normal range it's nothing to be concerned about, particularly if your tank is fish only.
-It's very common for homes to have somewhat elevated Co2 in new england in the winter because our houses are closed up all the time. Again, nothing to worry about unless it's really excessive.
-"PH buffers" are Alkalinity additives.
-Aquarium companies like to advertise "PH 8.4" or otherwise try to imply that you should be adding buffer additives regardless of your aquarium's needs.
-In general, monitoring your alk is much more relevant / helpful than monitoring PH.
-Buffers / alk additives should be dosed based on testing and the tank's comsumption, not to correct PH.

So to sum it up, stop adding the buffer and your problem will be solved :)
Thank u so much! So u think its safe to keep using the regular instant ocean salt or should I switch like now to the reef crystal?

I would not recommend doing a huge water change because you don't want the alk level to change too big and too fast , keep doing decent water changes every other day without the buffer and you will be fine in no time

Regular IO is fine for now if not indefinately.

As you move forward with your reef tank you will need to figure out what supplementation you will need. If you only keep soft corals you may be able to get with water changes alone to keep things in check. If you start keeping stony corals some form of supplementation is pretty much inevitable. The things you typically need to supplement are Ca, alk, and less frequently Mg. Dosing can do done via kalkwater dripping, Calcium reactor, or 2 part additives (plus the third part for Mg).

IO is fine salt, but IIRC runs a bit low in Ca and alk. It's also cheap. Personally I use TM regular (basically the german equivalent, similar low numbers) and add 2 part to correct the levels when I make a batch of saltwater. Regular supplementation by Kalkwater drip and occasional DIY Mg additive.

For now, I'd say stick with the IO and invest in some good test kits if you haven't already.

Here's some good free reading;
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

Regular IO is fine for now if not indefinately.

As you move forward with your reef tank you will need to figure out what supplementation you will need. If you only keep soft corals you may be able to get with water changes alone to keep things in check. If you start keeping stony corals some form of supplementation is pretty much inevitable. The things you typically need to supplement are Ca, alk, and less frequently Mg. Dosing can do done via kalkwater dripping, Calcium reactor, or 2 part additives (plus the third part for Mg).

IO is fine salt, but IIRC runs a bit low in Ca and alk. It's also cheap. Personally I use TM regular (basically the german equivalent, similar low numbers) and add 2 part to correct the levels when I make a batch of saltwater. Regular supplementation by Kalkwater drip and occasional DIY Mg additive.

For now, I'd say stick with the IO and invest in some good test kits if you haven't already.

Here's some good free reading;
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

Thank u that article really helped. So what I think it's telling me to do is to does with calcium chloride to help raise the calcium and it will lower the alkalinity. Does that sound correct?

Thank u that article really helped. So what I think it's telling me to do is to does with calcium chloride to help raise the calcium and it will lower the alkalinity. Does that sound correct?

I would not dose anything.
DO you have a calcium test kit? What's your calcium level?

I would forget dosing for now. Your tank does not sound like it would be consuming enough Calcium or Alk. Your weekly water changes should be fine. As you add/grow LPS and SPS that may change, but make sure you know what your tank needs before adding anything.

Back