Warm weather prep for newbies

Oh, I beg to diffa... :p
Weather forecast for N. Chelmsford tomorrow is 88. Still too warm for those with MH's and no AC.

Oh, I beg to diffa... :p
Weather forecast for N. Chelmsford tomorrow is 88. Still too warm for those with MH's and no AC.

I am not doing so great tonight :( I read tonights low accidentally, and thought tomorrows high was only 71. It's 86 :(

Quick - throw some water bottles in the freezer to float in your tank tomorrow and read the thread Moe bumped. :) Good luck! Shout if you need help.

I freeze DI water into ice cube trays. Twice a day I dump a tray into the overflow. Its just like doing a topoff. Just make sure your tank needs water because of evaporation, if not you will lower your salinity.

I like to run my AC on hot days with the power saver cycle at 72 keeps me and my tank very comfortable.Me don't need no stinkin chiller! :) . The bottles of ice is something I need to get on top of in case of emergency.

Be prepared!
The next two days are going to be hot hot.
Monday might see 100 degrees away from the coast.

what you need is a 1/4 hp chiller

check out the eqp for sale I think there is one there for sale...:D

Get the ice bottles ready, folks. It's going to get warm this weekend. Inland, it'll be near 90 degrees on Sunday.

A trick for increasing evaporative cooling with a fan across the sump or the tank is to point a powerhead at the surface of the water.

I do this in the summer time in my sump with a Maxjet with the mod on it roughly 8 inches under the water pointing straight up. It increases the surface area of the water and evaporates a ton more water then just a fan alone which cools your tank more. Make sure you have ATO if you are going to do this as on a hot day it can easy double the evap rate.

In a pinch if you don't have enough ice bottles you can buy ice at a gas station and bag it up to float. Last fall our AC went down on a 100ish degree weekend:eek:....I ended up taking a day off work sitting in a 100+ degree appartment floating bag after bag of ice cubes. The freezer would have never held enough ice bottles, we melted 120lbs of ice that weekend. It was miserable work but it kept our reef alive and well at around 82 degrees.

We now live in a house with central air but I am keeping a spare 10,000 BTU window unit as a backup to put in the fish room if needed.

Last edited:
BUMP - good advice thread.
Used ice bottles for couple of years now. This year, I have a chiller and it was turned ON couple of times already. Still need couple of bottles in the freezer in case power outtage situation.

I have been waiting for this. With my my MH I would gain about 10deg over the course of the day. With my LEDs I am hoping to be able to control it with a fan until atleast the end of June. I still have my chiller connected for backup.

Also, for people with larger tanks in smaller rooms, a dehumidifier will help keep the relative humidity down so the evaporative cooling can work better.

The ice bottles saved me a few times last year thank god! Last year I did not check the temperature and we had one of the heat spells and lost somewhere around $500 worth of corals last year because I did not turn the AC on. After replacing the frags everything has grown great since then and I am damned if I go through that again this year. Soon I am going to build a fish room in the basement so I can put in a nice sump in and a frag tank. Then I am going to pump water upstairs into my 75RR tank. I just need to get family members who have stored store stuff in the basement to come get their stuff.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back