What do you guys do when one of your fish dies?

amixam98

Non-member
I was just wondering what do you guys do when you guys find a dead fish in the tank. I would think most of the time it woud be a mystery to how it died. Do you guys try to solve that mystery? Water changes? Test the waters? Anything else? Nothing?

Reason I'm asking is my six-line died over the weekend. Saw him sitting on the rocks yesterday, only to come home and see him dead today after work. All my fishes and corals are doing great.

I'd check water parameters: pH, temp, specific gravity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, alk, calcium...

Any wounds on the dead fish?

When I got home from work, the cleanup crew was already all over him. I had him for well over a year.

Moe_K said:
I'd check water parameters: pH, temp, specific gravity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, alk, calcium...

Same here, but sometimes Sheit Happens

In most of my dead fish case, it involves the powerhead. So........i never really have to check for anything other than my usual parameter check

All of my dead fish have been jumpers so far.
edit: thats not true, I did have a CBB shipped to me from an online store and it was virtually doa. I put it outside in a box when it did die in case I needed to ship it back to the online store and it got eaten by something :eek:

Last edited:
I do the trash. There's probably no danger with the drain, but I try not to send any tank stuff into the sewers. Perhaps you've heard of Calerpa taxifolia? It's a weed that was introduced to the california coast, probably by aquarists, and now is a significant environmental problem in that area, and in the northern mediteranean, where it is outcompeting, and smothering native species, and the animals that graze on them.

Back