What do you guys do when one of your fish dies?

i had a black cap for 2.5 years came home gone, ka put, see ya , dead ,right down the old shi--er. ha ha bye that is life in reefing . so i was told

I meditate about my right and responsibilities for taking a fragile defenseless creature out of its home.

Then I drink some coffee, watch the Daily Show and plan which LFS I will strike.

--> BTW the only fish I have had die has been an injured green chromis that I tried to rescue from Petco (I know I know). He was the very first fish and seemed to be fine for some days. Then I got home one day and found him being assimilated by the cleanup crew. At least his last days were calm...

It actually took me some weeks before I dared to buy anymore livestock. No fish casualties since then. :D

I just dumped a 1-day old one in the trash this morning :(. And his partner is looking kinda so-so too. Hope he improves.

NateHanson said:
I do the trash. There's probably no danger with the drain, but I try not to send any tank stuff into the sewers. Perhaps you've heard of Calerpa taxifolia? It's a weed that was introduced to the california coast, probably by aquarists, and now is a significant environmental problem in that area, and in the northern mediteranean, where it is outcompeting, and smothering native species, and the animals that graze on them.

Nate -
So if you keep tank stuff out of the sewer, what do you do with changed water? (Just curious)

M.

I often pour it on the patio, but I sometimes send it down the drain. I'm certainly not religious about segregating my tank from the local environment, but I try to keep it in mind.

Have you been watching finding Nemo again? I don't think all drains really lead to the ocean. At least not here, maybe in sydney harbor, but not in Laurence, MA. j/k

Around here drains don't lead directly to the ocean (except storm drains) but many get there after treatment. I expect they're little chance something would survive waste treatment, but I guess I think the chances are even less if it's in the trash, and incinerated or buried. I'm sure I'm overthinking this though. I just can't get over the borrowed guilt of the aquarists who spread taxifolia around the world.

Well, I don't live in the city, so we have old fashioned septic tanks....don't think I have to worry about anything living down there.... :eek:

Back