What is the Best way to reduce nitrates

adamcampmma

Non-member
My Nitrates are high and I am have trouble reducing them already did 2 33% water changes and they have reduced some but I want them lower. What will help lower nitrate levels and keep them low. All other tests are good just high nitrate levels. Its a 46 gallon bow with 100 pounds of live rock. running 125 super skimmer, multiple power heads, and Mag350 with chemi pure. Any suggestions

How long has the system been set up?
Sounds like you have enoug live rock in there.

What (and how much) substrate are you using?

How about the bioload? Are you keeping too many fish in there?

What's your water source for the water changes? Are you using tap water?

Suggestion: nutrient export by growing macro algae in your sump.

Last edited:
Oh yeah...

Hi Adam,

fishswim.gif

to the Boston Reefers' Society!!

The Tank has been up for 2 years, 100 pounds of Live rock, I have 60 pounds of live sand, only 2 clowns, 1 chromis, 1 brazilian gamma, my shrimp died 2 weeks ago that is when I started testing my water and did the first water change, also have a few mushrooms that appear to be effected by the high nitrate level, they have shrunk in size and are nolonger opening fully.

It is tap water that i let sit for atleast a week then mix salt and allow another week before using.
Mmm. Could still be nutrient rich.
We really dislike tap water. RO/DI systems are sweet. The price on them has come down quite a bit in the past 5 years.
I use the Typhoon III from www.airwaterice.com
I like it very much.

I think I am going to add a hang-on Refugium, been thinking about it, One reget is I don't have a sump.
Ask other folks on the board here for some donations of macro algae once you get the reugium set up. They'll hook you up.

It sits more because of Time restraints than anything, I have 2, 15 gallon containers and a mixing pump that I use for water changes.

Because he probably was told that alot of bad stuff comes out of tap. Only chlorine after 24 hours. Chloramines dont come out and it it is nutrient rich, it is.

I should just bite the bullet and buy an R/O system, When I first started my tank I had a free source of RODI water, but since changing jobs a year ago I have been using tap water

The reason your nitrates only came down slightly with a water change is because tapwater contains nitrates, among many other undesirable chemicals for reefing. So in other words, you're basically trying to dilute nitrates with nitrates. It would be like trying to reduce your salinity by diluting with saltwater. You'd never get your nitrates down below the level in the tapwater, which is still far too high for reefing.

I think the best investment possible would be an RO/DI unit.

If you can't afford one right now, many LFS sell either RO/DI water or 1.025 saltwater made from RO/DI water. I recommend Skiptons Pet Center if you're in Boston, MA. The cost per gallon is farily reasonable, and they also sell 5gal jugs to carry it in.

For a 46 Bow, I would recommend doing a 40gal water change with stabilized RO/DI saltwater immediately because your tank is established. This shouyld bring your nitrates way down. You may follow with a 40gal water change 2wk later, but do not be running UV during these two weeks.

Matt:cool:

The reason your nitrates only came down slightly with a water change is because tapwater contains nitrates, among many other undesirable chemicals for reefing. So in other words, you're basically trying to dilute nitrates with nitrates. It would be like trying to reduce your salinity by diluting with saltwater. You'd never get your nitrates down below the level in the tapwater, which is still far too high for reefing.

I think the best investment possible would be an RO/DI unit.

If you can't afford one right now, many LFS sell either RO/DI water or 1.025 saltwater made from RO/DI water. I recommend Skiptons Pet Center if you're in Boston, MA. The cost per gallon is farily reasonable, and they also sell 5gal jugs to carry it in.

For a 46 Bow, I would recommend doing a 40gal water change with stabilized RO/DI saltwater immediately because your tank is established. This shouyld bring your nitrates way down. You may follow with a 40gal water change 2wk later, but do not be running UV during these two weeks.

Matt:cool:

Matt, I think that's a typo.......46G bow, no sump, 100# LR, 60# LS, I don't think there's 40 total gallons in the system. :eek:

How about 20? ;)

Back