What is the Best way to reduce nitrates

Matt, I think that's a typo.......46G bow, no sump, 100# LR, 60# LS, I don't think there's 40 total gallons in the system. :eek:

How about 20? ;)
I thought there was a sump.

Regardless, in an established tank, I assert that you can safely change 80% of the system water. With 100lbs., basically all of your microbial community is going to be present on the rock. Just make sure you match temperature, salinity, and pH as exactly as possible when doing such large water changes.

So basically, my advice becomes leaving maybe 3" of water over the sand bed and changing out the rest twice with two weeks in between.

Matt:cool:

Another yes on the "go RODI" suggestion. Also another vote to to with the airwaterice unit - awsome and a great deal.

IMO, DSB's are great for keeping nitrates in check. If you don't want a DSB in the display, I would suggest looking into the "DSB in a bucket" method. (search for anthony calfo's fourm in the marine depot fourms)

*DSB's are a debated issue, some hate them, others swear by them*

Personally I've used DSB's in my display tanks for about 5 years, and I've never seen a detectable nitrate reading in any of the tanks I've kept with a DSB.

And again, Yes, your tap water does/may contain some level of nitrate. Try testing it to see how much.

And - WELCOME!

I see that stang8s (Jeff) is putting together a group buy with AirWaterIce.
Jump in on that for sure.

I agree with matt, but would just add that if you do massive water changes, be very careful to make sure the temp, salinity, and other parameters are very closely matched on the new water. (you don't want to shock the tank inhabitants with the water changes).

My water was also high in nitrates.I just kepted buying my water from a lfs until I saved to buy a rodi unit.It was cheep only .50 a gl. and I have plenty of poland spring bottles.But now that I have a rodi unit it just makes it so much easer having it any time I need it.Good luck

would bottled/spring water do the same thing as far as nitrates and other additives that are not usually in sea water? Also I used to use tap water and I actually had a problem with it killing, yes killing, my damsels when I was cycling an old tank, it seemed to be burning them (makes you think of what it does to us). So if I bought an RO/DI unit, what water would I run through it, bottled or tap?

Thanks,

Dave

The RODI unit connects to your tap water.

Don't bother with the bottled water, if your going to buy water, get it from a LFS (and check that for TDS to be sure their unit is working right)

would bottled/spring water do the same thing as far as nitrates and other additives that are not usually in sea water? Also I used to use tap water and I actually had a problem with it killing, yes killing, my damsels when I was cycling an old tank, it seemed to be burning them (makes you think of what it does to us). So if I bought an RO/DI unit, what water would I run through it, bottled or tap?

Thanks,

Dave
Spring water is full of minerals. Could be some good for your tank, and could be some that are bad for your tank. Getting an RODI is cheaper in the long run and pays for itself fairly quickly.

Back