What to do during power outages.

ryancanulla

Non-member
So fenway has been out of power since last night around 11pm. They said that it would be back on at 12am so i didn't do much to it last night, and dozed off. I woke up at 6am and it was still out and i had lost two fish from what i would assume is lack of co2 in the water. I immediately positioned my car with a heavy duty extension cord/power inverter adding bubbles to the water. I've also been keeping my temp up by boiling salt water on my grill and dosing the tanks.

Besides getting a generator/back up which will be done this weekend, anything else I can/could have/ should be doing?

Also, do would it have been the lack of co2 in the water that killed the fish?

[rip: chevron tang, two dispar anthias, leopard wrasse]

It was probably a lack of oxygen and a build up of co2. Temp swings and no aeration will def stress a fish out. I'd try to find a battery powered air pump.

IMO a $12 battery powered air pump is the best money spent in this hobby, every reefer should have one.

When the power went out during the ice storm two years ago I didn't loose anything. I was able to keep the water moving and warm the water. I have a gas stove so heating the water was easy. If I didn't I would have used my camp stove. Doing this will eventually ruin the $12 air pump but who cares, I have several. Here's a diagram of what I did.

Attachments

• power outage.jpg
    power outage.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 173
When the power went out during the ice storm two years ago I didn't loose anything. I was able to keep the water moving and warm the water. I have a gas stove so heating the water was easy. If I didn't I would have used my camp stove. Doing this will eventually ruin the $12 air pump but who cares, I have several. Here's a diagram of what I did.

I must say... thats an ingenious idea!

I just had my hole house hooked up to one plag on the outside wall of my house, so all have to do is plug my generater in to that one plug and my hole house as power. I'm not going to be caught with my pants down this winter.

Back