Whats with the coral ID's recently

I wasnt thinking of stoping them, but instead of being a member, maybe making them pay to be a sponser? I just dont understand why some LFS have to pay for that benefit, and other dont? That way members could leave remarks in the Vendors Forum, of thier "First Hand Exp", instead of being accused of calling members out on unethical practices. Your right I will leave it at that. I just wanted to make a point, because I felt it was a dicussion about naming/ethics, and felt for me this is a big part of it.

Remember everyone serves a purpose in the group. Non paid members sell to and buy from BRS members. Paid Members get a larger audience to sell to and get good deals from non member(not 100% but you get the idea). Non members also help build the sites content. Many of these non paid members have other base groups they pay to be in, but choose to share in our experience. Also they will not sign up to be sponsors they will to go to another venue where they can sell things for free.

LFS sell wholesale. Members/non members are allowed to sell aquacultured livestock and old equipment. This is based around the groups charter. So making members, any sort, pay for sponsorship would not be foster our group charter.

Last edited:
Is something really"LE" if thousands of folks in the hobby in many different clubs have it?
When does it not become "LE"?
It's too bad there isn't a paper trail for these "special" named corals.
Like with dog breeds."Do you have papers with that coral?".
Ahhh,but then you would need standards.But,then again like discussed before.
If the original frag didn't come out of Tyree's tank then it's not original?
And corals can morph under certain conditions.......but dogs can't.
Sounds pretty confusing to me.lol

your right bob but dont forget more than half of the people who acquire a LE frag end up killing it, (due to the fact that their tank crashes, or they lack the proper husbandry skills, or they dont have the proper set-up enough light, or pests etc.) so it really is limited

your right bob but dont forget more than half of the people who acquire a LE frag end up killing it, (due to the fact that their tank crashes, or they lack the proper husbandry skills, or they dont have the proper set-up enough light, or pests etc.) so it really is limited

Very true,I never really thought about that.
Everyone in this has their favorite part of the hobby.
Some love the fancy equipment,others fish and some like to collect the a high end/LE corals and some can afford all aspects of thr hobby.It seems there's a niche for everybody.:)

Remember everyone serves a purpose in the group. Non paid members sell to and buy from BRS members. Paid Members get a larger audience to sell to and get good deals from non member(not 100% but you get the idea). Non members also help build the sites content. Many of these non paid members have other base groups they pay to be in, but choose to share in our experience. Also they will not sign up to be sponsors they will to go to another venue where they can sell things for free.

LFS sell wholesale. Members/non members are allowed to sell aquacultured livestock and old equipment. This is based around the groups charter. So making members, any sort, pay for sponsorship would not be foster our group charter.

So why wouldnt B, Jay or any of them just sell on the forum and not be sponsors? I thought you were limited to how much equipment you can sell? So why not livestoc? Im just saying when does someone cross the line from being a member selling livestock, to being a member running a business out of there house. I dont think its right that if one of our sponsors isnt doing the right thing we have a place(Vendor Feedback) we can say what we like or didnt like. When a "member" screws another member we cant call them out on it? We have iTrader, but that isnt a true reflection of some of the vendor/members on this site.

This is an ongoing issue that the BOD, and the club have faced for years. There is a pretty clear demarcation between a mortar and bricks store, and someone with a frag tank (even a big one) who is a hobbyist. When 'hobbyists' add fully functional ecommerce websites, the line gets very blurred, (at least IMO) and it is blurred the other way when you factor in the aspect of our charter that promotes aquaculture as a method to make this hobby (and the world's reefs) sustainable. <run-on sentences, anyone?>

We have, errr, 'spirited' :rolleyes: discussions about this every year. We make every effort to strike a balance, and we err on the side of people who probably drift more towards commercial, if they're aquaculturing. It's one of the things that makes the VP-PR job just SO much fun. Good thing the pay (absolutely zero) is worth it. :p

However, as a hobbyist myself as well, few things tick me off more than someone who buys a large colony (wild, or elsewhere), and chops it up for profit...it goes against everything the club stands for....(again, IMO). However, my understanding is that nothing in our current rules prevents this, and even if we tried to put something in; it would be an impossible nightmare to try and enforce.

So why wouldnt B, Jay or any of them just sell on the forum and not be sponsors? I thought you were limited to how much equipment you can sell? So why not livestoc? Im just saying when does someone cross the line from being a member selling livestock, to being a member running a business out of there house. I dont think its right that if one of our sponsors isnt doing the right thing we have a place(Vendor Feedback) we can say what we like or didnt like. When a "member" screws another member we cant call them out on it? We have iTrader, but that isnt a true reflection of some of the vendor/members on this site.
You can it is called ITrader for regular member aquacultured sales.

Buying wild colonies and chopping them up is against the rules. And it is not impossible to prove we have in the past enforced this rule. If members have issues with these types of things and are aware of them they can always contact anyone of the BOD anonymously if they do not want to be known.

A list of current BOD members can be found here, http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showgroups.php

I find the conversation kinda perplexing. It is your group, if members have issue and know of people abusing the rules just say something.
We are a community and the BOD and MODs are just regular members of our community that have stepped up to help in a larger capacity. But that
shouldn't put everything on them, everyone needs to work together.

Last edited:
i really dont care what anything is called....if it looks good and the price is right, then im down to buy it... just because it may be called...."purple people eating nitro magnum hot pink mama" is not going to make it look better in my display...if it looks good then i will buy it...

i really dont care what anything is called....if it looks good and the price is right, then im down to buy it... just because it may be called...."purple people eating nitro magnum hot pink mama" is not going to make it look better in my display...if it looks good then i will buy it...

Is that an LE? I would love a frag if you ever chop it up.;)

we've already established that if a coral looks like crap you wont buy it... however most of the corals that are named don't look like crap... so that's a moot point really..

the issue here is people naming corals something that they are not, so people think they are getting a coral that will in time look fantastic in their system (like the piece that it was falsely named as) but it never looks like that piece... because it's not that piece!

Back