Whats wrong with my leather toadstool

Frag Freaks

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Ok i dont know why my leather toadstool doesnt want to open. It was attached to a piece of rock when i got it but since detached itself almost as it was shedding away. Which cant be good.

I have 2x175w 10k bulbs over my 65. With 2x65 Actinics.

My water params are

Temp 81
SG. 1.025
Alk 10.2 dkh
Amm. 0
Nitrate 0
Phos -0

I have it on the sandbed right now. Do you not think its getting enough light i do have a 24" deep tank. Should i move it up higher?

Mine likes being near the bottom of my 29 with weak PC's.
Peek around the base for some tiny holes, maybe a raparapa snail?

I would think it wouldnt be too much light since i have such a tall tank. I dont think i could get away with nething else. The funny part is that i have rock with about 6 stalks of xenia on the bottom which def require less light than the toadstool and they are fully extended and pulsing

has it attached itself to a piece of rock with another part of it stalk? Toadstools also will close up for two to four days when the are about to grow, but this does not effect the stalk or where it has attached itself. The capitulum appears very slimy and glossy and then slowly start to release its polyps. If that doesnt sound like whats going on then I dont have a clue.

What tank conditions was it in when/where you got it?
2x175 + 2x65 might be too much light for it, especially if it came from an LFS or someone with a tank like mine. LFS (with some exceptions) dont generally keep things under all the light they can handle or should rightly have. Mine has been growing steadily in a 29g with 2x55W PCs for two years now.

Also, is it near anything that might be fighting with it? Softies are pretty fierce when it comes to Chemical Warfare but they can be beat up by other corals. Especially if they're stressed from moving to a new tank.

Mine has been known to hibernate for lack of a better term. It just went through one this week actually. It doesnt show any polyps for a week or so, shrivels up, although it never pulls away from the rock which would concern me.

Last edited:
Mind if I ask which LFS and do you know how long they had it? If it spent alot of time under PCs then went to twin 175W HQIs that could seriously stress it out. That stress may have combined with a bunch of other little things to cause its "turn for the worse".

I'd say get it to an area of the tank with as low light as possible (but still some light) and make sure it has some decent water flow around it but nothing too forceful. Most importantly dont give up on it. I've seen alot of stuff come back from what I honestly thought was a dead stump.

give it some time. If it is not melting, don't worry about it too much.

All of the above, and keep it in contact with a piece of rock (rubber band it?). That way as it gets back in the mood, it can reattach.

I'd guess it just got shocked. That's a pretty big light change, and when moving things, it's probably good to give them a bit less light as they get used to the new surroundings.

yeah what suprises me like i said i got xenia from the same place under the same light placed them on the bottom just like the toadstool they are pulsing and expanding like crazy. For now i will just get it attached to another rock with a rubber band and put it in a less light area. Hopefully it will make it.

I just fixed it. I rubberbanded it to a piece of LR rumble and put it somewhat under a lil over hang so it shouldnt get direct light from the halides. Once it starts to recover will i slowly be able to move it out and up a lil in my tank?

Toadstool corals need the addition of iodine sometimes. They need this for good health. When mine starts to do that I add a little iodine and it perks right up.

If you google : Toadstool coral iodine you will get several articles about toadstools and their needs.

Good luck.

Back