What's wrong with my Melanarus Wrasse?

EddieM

BRS Member
I've had her for about 5 years and haven't added anything new to the tank (220G) in over a year. Two weeks ago she started acting strange and then last week she stopped swimming and has just been hanging out upside down. She's been like this for about 5 days now. This "bubble" seems to be getting larger, but I have no idea what it is. Any ideas?
20211102_172013.jpg

Do you have a picture from side angle to get a better view of the bubble. I have seen vent prolapse in fresh water fish, but not in salt water.

tagging @Humblefish to get some additional help.

Def need Bobby to help but I feel some epsom salt might be in order

Def need Bobby to help but I feel some epsom salt might be in order
+1.

Not the best pic, but here's a side view.

It does look like an obstruction. Below is an extract from Bobby's site on symptoms and treatment options.

"6. Fish constipation
Symptoms:
Bloated stomach, obvious anal obstruction, rectal prolapse, erratic swimming behavior. The fish will sometimes stay near the surface of the water, swimming in circles. Constipation is sometimes mistaken for a gas bubble in a fish’s swim bladder (or vice versa.)
Treatment options:
(1)
Feed peeled boiled green peas (high in fiber)
(2) Dose Epsom salt @ 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons (laxative)
(3) Dose Kanamycin (Seachem Kanaplex) in a Quarantine Tank (diarrhea is a side effect of kanamycin)"

@EddieM Just to clarify, is that “bubble” coming out of the fish’s anus? If so, I would attempt to vent it by sticking a hypodermic needle through the bubble and withdraw the plunger on the needle to suck all the air out.

@EddieM Just to clarify, is that “bubble” coming out of the fish’s anus? If so, I would attempt to vent it by sticking a hypodermic needle through the bubble and withdraw the plunger on the needle to suck all the air out.
Thanks. I've tried the peas and will pick up some epsom salt and a hypodermic needle tomorrow.

Back