When to add fish

Tooch81

Non-member
So i apologize if this is a stupid question but i'm new to saltwater tanks. I've run 90G freshwater tanks in the past but the 30G i now have set-up is the first venture into the saltwater world.

Anyway, i'm running a 30G biocube with 6lbs of live rock (adding more as i go) and 40lbs of live sand. My take is fully cycled and i put two cleaner shrimp and 4 small snails in today. However, when should i add the fish? I don't plan on putting in too many (4-5 4" fish max) but i found the perfect two fish i wanted to add. Is it too soon to add them tomorrow? I'm not sure what spikes in ______ to expect with saltwater. I already have my fish picked out as well as the what order to put them in, so these are a perfect fit to my plan.

Thanks again and i'm sorry if i'm a stupid noob

If water cycled fully then you can slowly add fish one at a time. For smaller fishes like fire gobi or crown fish kind will be OK for a couple at a time but not yellow tang or blue tangs surgen fish must add one add a time.

Don't put yourself down, trust me...we've ALL been there. If your tank is cycled, you should be good to go...just keep an eye on your nitrates and ammonia (assuming your nitrites are at ZERO). In my opinion, 5-4" fish is 1 or 2 too many for a 30 gallon unless you are absolutely religious about a weekly 5G water change and checking all your levels once or twice weekly. It also depends on your skimmer, sump/return,power heads for water movement/detritus removal.

You're GOING to make mistakes, trust me. Hitting the forum every time you have a question is the best favor you can do for yourself...this community is a wealth of knowledge. Don't take it so hard if you muck something up is what I'm getting at. Good luck.

Just don't add a yellow tang or a blue tang or surgeon fish, please...ever. My recipe for my nano tanks (less than 34 gallons as has been determined by the nano forum) has always been a pair of clownfish, a goby, and possibly a small wrasse. Keep it simple for now, because if you get in over your head things go downhill fast.

Totally agree with dakar, and that is a good combo, stay away from tangs, even tiny ones, they will outgrow way too quick and its not healthy, (or fair) to the fish, i would keep it to 4 fish of 5 if a couple of them are small, some wrasses so good at pest removel and aerating sandbeds, get some blue legged or scarlett hermits, they will help with excess food and crap, and watch out not to overfeed, smaller tanks can have changes in water quality very quickly, try to get 1 to 1.5 pounds of live rock per gallon of water, and get a skimmer rated slightly above your tanks needs, be faithful with water changes, i do 10 gallons every 2 weeks but for a 30g 5 gallons should be fine weekly/biweekly. Everyone has their own opinions. What fish were you planning on adding? And honestly take advantage of reading blogs on this website and ask questions, youll never catch grief for asking. And read as much as you can on saltwater because problems are a part of tanks and if you no matter what you do theyre unavoidable, all you can do is try to be prepared. Good.luck

Thank's to all and I'm glad I'm not crazy or alone here.

I already have a skimmer (it was recommended to me by a buddy so I'm not even sure what it is?) and I'm working on the rock. I'm eventually going to have about 40lbs of live rock in there, but because of the cost, I bough just a couple lbs to help the sand and speed up the cycling process.

As for fish here is my list.

Fire Shimp
Scarlet Skunk Cleaner
Various snails (x4)
Saddleback Clownfish (x2) - only one pair....I know!
Flame Angel
McCosker's Wrasse
Green Clown Goby

The goby is the first off the list because it's the one I wanted for it's color. The angel and clown's are my wife's and kids picks.

Back