Where should non-reef photos go?

Where should non-reef-related, off-topic photos go?

• The Lounge

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Photography forum

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • I don't care / Let the moderator decide

Votes: 13 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nunofs

Non-member
If you've seen the this thread on the Lounge -- http://216.235.242.50/forums/showthread.php?t=10366 -- you know the issue of where to post off-topic, non-reef-related photos is still around (it had been discussed before a while ago).

As the photography moderator, here's my take on the subject:

My feeling is that we should reserve the photography forum for reef-related photos... here's my reasoning (which Nate already mentioned) : the forums listed under "BRS Forums" (at the top of the forum list) are all reef-related, with the single exception of "The Lounge", where all non-reef-related content should go. Notice I said "content", it shouldn't matter if that content is text or images, if it's off-topic it belongs in "The Lounge"... as Nate said, we don't post non-reef-related DIY projects under the DIY forum, and if, for instance, we ever create a Chemistry forum I'm sure that's going to be reef-related chemistry only.

Now, I understand the "tradition" was to allow any kind of photos in the Photography forum, and some people got really upset when I first started moving off-topic photos to the Lounge (as if being moved to the Lounge was some kind of punishement, degrading to their honor)... my take on that? just because it was done one way in the past, doesn't mean that it can't/shouldn't evolve or change, especially if it's for the better...

As you may notice, we've been having a lot more reef photos (and a lot better, IMHO) posted to the Photography forum in the recent months... I think the forum has enough volume and quality to be able to stand on its own as a reef-related photo forum, no need to "pollute" it with off-topic content.

FWIW, I've been given the go-ahead from "above" to make it a reef-only forum a while ago, but the amount of criticism it drew from a few members set me back... this is a club for the members, and if the members don't want change, I'm not going to be the one pushing it onto them, I'll go with the flow even if I don't agree with it.

I'm posting a poll to get a feel for the opinion of members... so please vote and if you need to add additional comments, feel free to post on this thread.

Nuno

(note to other mods: this could probably go in the "BRS Business" forum, I'm posting here just to get better exposure so that we get as large a vote as possible -- I'll move it to the BRS Business forum after the poll closes)

And they're rounding the corner....I Don't Care is making a run for it! Followed closely by Wondering What the F@#$ and Crap Rolls Down Hill......

And just a thought, if it does turn out the the photo section is just for reef photos, anyway of renaming it so? Or adding a line to it as in this is for reef/fish related photos only. This way in the future there wouldn't any confusion as to where to put pics, or as to why they got moved.

I voted for the photo forum, but honestly Nuno you are the mod if you want OT pics in the lounge say so and thats where they will go. I don't think anyone will argue.

IMO I think if it is a picture thread it belongs in the photo forum. Maybe just label the thread OT.

Nuno, you run the forum, you make the decision.

Unless there is some built in adobe photoshop in that forum, I don't think it should matter

dido, but I think it should be in the lounge, but I will go with whatever Nuno says. Fact that you moderate and get nothing for it, means you get to do it the way you want to. If someone cared enough to argue let them email the bod and address it...but you should worry about it.

I think rename the photo forum the reef photo forum and then when we have some cool pics of bugs and stuff we will know where to look for and put them. or split it into two forums reef and non reef

OK, the voting has ended and everyone has had a chance to express their opinion... based on the results, I'm going to ask that you start posting any non-reef related photos directly to the Lounge... or I will move them there ;)

I'll see if the "Photography" forum can/should be renamed "Reef Photography", but can't promise anything.

Thanks for everyone who voted, one way or the other.

Nuno

Or see if Joe will add a subtitle of the forum to indicate that it's intended for Reef pictures. Most of the other forums have such a subtitle, so perhap's you're owed one. :)

Back