Which light/lights for a SCA 50 gallon cube

austinjovo

Non-member
I currently have a black box led that works fine and all but I'm not a fan of the spectrum or the fact that I have to twist each individual knob to turn both channels on and find my "sweet spot". The channels aren't separated with a cord either, so I can't even set a timer for whites only. Which reasonably priced leds would you guys recommend? I am looking at a kessil but wondering if I'd need 2 and that would be a little pricey lol
Dimensions are 24x24x20

A Reefbreeders 16 inch or 24 inch photon v2+ will be perfect for this tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Reefbreeders 16 inch or 24 inch photon v2+ will be perfect for this tank.

I see they include a controller so that might actually be my choice, do they also come with the mounting brackets and would the 24 be too long for my tank with the brackets or fit perfect?

The black box

Attachments

• 15663143417597442815156147577274.jpg
    15663143417597442815156147577274.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 193
They also come with legs and hanging kits

Lighting is the foundation of any reef tank. Especially if more delicate corals and SPS are going to be grown I only recommend kessils and Radion lights. They are both well built and provide the proper spectrum needed for coral growth. Other brand lights will not last as long or provide to much to the warmer side of the spectrum which will lead to algae growth

Lighting is the foundation of any reef tank. Especially if more delicate corals and SPS are going to be grown I only recommend kessils and Radion lights. They are both well built and provide the proper spectrum needed for coral growth. Other brand lights will not last as long or provide to much to the warmer side of the spectrum which will lead to algae growth
Thank you for your input I appreciate it! The black box I currently have is working but it is a hastle

If you even travel to Concord MA, I have other used premium led lights that will fit your tank and wont break the bank.
I will show you why Kessil is rated the worst premium led for SPS and why Radion is not worth the money and both lacks the even coverage for SPS dominated reef tank unless you supplement them with t5 or led bars.

If you even travel to Concord MA, I have other used premium led lights that will fit your tank and wont break the bank.
I will show you why Kessil is rated the worst premium led for SPS and why Radion is not worth the money and both lacks the even coverage for SPS dominated reef tank unless you supplement them with t5 or led bars.

I am definitely going to have to make the trip to you Dong, would next thursday be an option? Do you happen to have the reefbreeder photon 2s?

I work at my my local fish store and we run both kessils and Radion Lights. We still have some of the original radion lights that are still running great. They both produce excellent coral growth and which one you choose is purely a personal preference. I have seen so many other led lights from expensive AI lights to cheap bought on amazon vipar spectra lights fail over time. We never supplement with T5s or other lighting and all the coral does great.

I work at my my local fish store and we run both kessils and Radion Lights. We still have some of the original radion lights that are still running great. They both produce excellent coral growth and which one you choose is purely a personal preference. I have seen so many other led lights from expensive AI lights to cheap bought on amazon vipar spectra lights fail over time. We never supplement with T5s or other lighting and all the coral does great.
I think k alot of suppliment with t5s has to do with shading. T5 give a great even deffused light that elliminates the shadows of more single point lighting options. Youd need alot of extra radions to give you the same shadowless lighting

I think k alot of suppliment with t5s has to do with shading. T5 give a great even deffused light that elliminates the shadows of more single point lighting options. Youd need alot of extra radions to give you the same shadowless lighting

That is a good point that I never considered . I've never used T5s but I would imagine the need would really depend on the specific aquascaping of a tank. I normally work with frag tanks with a large chunk of egg crate to place frags on so shadows are not really a problem. I can certainly picture a situation involving a display tank that has lots of live rock where shadows would be a problem.

I am definitely going to have to make the trip to you Dong, would next thursday be an option? Do you happen to have the reefbreeder photon 2s?

Next Thursday is good. I have both 16 inch and 24 inch new photon v2+ in stock.

I run a 24" Aquamedic 250w MH w/ 2 t5ho on my 60g cube, only 4" taller then yours, and feel it's perfect.

If you go LED I'd do 24" length, and you'll need 2 more then likely to get the full spread, and potential.

Back