Will a phosban reactor cure a cyano problem?

im new to the hobby and i over fed some coral frenzy about 2 weeks ago and now my tank is trashed and could use some advice, i dont like to use any meds in the tank

Water change , Water change , Water change .
Plus , I always felt that a cyano bloom is an inevedible part of a new tanks cycle. Feed less, shorten photoperiod and regular water changes should help it go away sooner. IMO

thanks but will the phosban help along with water change? if you go to youtube and search deathbyfrogman and watch the video titled about to give up you can see whats going on in my tank im sure you will be able to tell me whats happening cuz i have no idea

just saw the video -- that's some serious cyno there!

Yes, a phosban reactor will help -- but more than that, you need to start feeding less, and do water changes. Also for the cyno already there, you can siphon off the top layer -- it'll be hard and tedious but it can be done. Try not to disturb your sand bed too much, and preferably do a small area at a time.

- There's a product called Chemiclean, that can help as well.
- Make sure you have plenty of flow in the tank -- maybe even buy a couple of "weak" powerheads and semi-point them towards the substrate.

Are you using a protein skimmer? If not, you probably want to invest in one.

How old is the tank? It is not unusual to have a cyno break out in the early stages of cycling.

Lastly, how are you feeding the coral frenzy? For the amount of corals that you have, you should be spot feeding it to the corals..

Hope that helps!

i only used coral frenzy once about 2 weeks ago used a baster to target feed and i guess i ended up over feeding as far as feeding my fish i use formula one pellets i only put a few in at a time so the fish can eat and not waste after each fish had a few pellets i stop feeding, i do that everyday , the tank has been up for a little over 2 months i dont have a skimmer yet but when i replenish my aquarium fund im going to get a reef octopus hob skimmer 2000 i domt want to use meds at all

i only used coral frenzy once about 2 weeks ago used a baster to target feed and i guess i ended up over feeding as far as feeding my fish i use formula one pellets i only put a few in at a time so the fish can eat and not waste after each fish had a few pellets i stop feeding, i do that everyday , the tank has been up for a little over 2 months i dont have a skimmer yet but when i replenish my aquarium fund im going to get a reef octopus hob skimmer 2000 i domt want to use meds at all

2 months is pretty young for a tank, so I wouldn't worry about the cyno too too much -- since you don't want to use the chemicals, you should siphon the cyno out -- I'd do 10-15% water changes 2-3 times a week, and try to siphon as much of the cyno as you can. Just be careful not to disturb the sand too too much.

Chemiclean is ok to use in reef tank, as long as you follow the instruction, there will be no ill effects in the long run.
Water change is the key.
Coral Frenzy is meant for coral, it is very fine powder for filter feeders. It is not a good fish food because fish can't catch most of it. It will end up on rocks and sand bed and rot away.

for now, Less light and less feeding.

Lol and yes a phosphate reactor will help reduce cyano. What are your levels for Phosphate and Nitrates? I bet the phosphate is higher than the other. Keep them low and you should be fine.

i was trying to target feed a few of my corals but i guess i over did it :: or coral frenzy= cyano in a can:confused:

There is another product called Chemipure, it is mostly high grade carbon and some resin. It works on small tanks.

thanks for your help im just confused and i try to stay away from any additives and my tank looks like trash :mad:

thanks for your help im just confused and i try to stay away from any additives and my tank looks like trash :mad:

Some additives actually useful and reef safe.
You need to replace the Chempure more often than it claimed on the label. May be once a month.

Also, if you are willing to give up the sand bed, it will make life easier for the long run.

really?? i thought it was good for extra filtration?? i dont think i would like the look of the tank without sand... never thought of going bb hmmmm:confused: i still need some more equipment i dont even have a skimmer yet... if i told you guys my setup you would probably laugh in my face or flip me off haha

Once the famous (on infamous) Steve Tyree said, keep it simple. He used to have a set up that consisted of a used tank, a bunch of live rocks, a bunch of hair algae (no kidding) and lots of water movement, plus a 400w metal halide. Then he grewn those Tyree LE corals in it. No sump no skimmer. So i won't laugh at your tank.

Back