yellow coris wrasse and lizard blenny fighting

cstacks

Non-member
Hi I have a 30 gallon biocube and 2 weeks ago I added a lizard blenny. That and the yellow wrasse were the only fish in the tank. The wrasse has been there for about a year, when I added the blenny a couple weeks ago they started fighting a bit. Just pecks here and there. Now it seems like they are always poking at each other more blenny on the wrasse than the other way around. Should I get rid of the blenny my instincts are telling me they aren't working out. Any suggestions?
IMG_0045.jpg

Did you try rearranging the rock work? Are they similar body shapes and/or color? Maybe it’s those factors.

If the blenny was added to the wrasse's established tank, and the blenny is the bully, I wouldn't rearrange the rocks. Right now the wrasse has home turf, you don't want to give the blenny another leg up. That's probably why they were okay at first... the blenny was the newcomer, and now that he is settled in he feels it is his space and he can start owning it.

I was sort of thinking about letting them adjust for another couple weeks. When they strike it almost seems playful or establishing their areas, its not like they go at it for more than one peck or are fighting to the point of injuries. But they are doing it a lot maybe every 15 minutes so thats concerning. I guess I'll give it a few more weeks and see if they are still fighting a lot then. Thanks for the advice!

As long as there is no damage, and no one is hiding consistently, you should be okay to just monitor the situation. If it is not already, you may want to have a jump-proof top - you don't want one chasing the other up and out...

Back