Yellow Coris Wrasse Harem

Bagdis831

Non-member
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it was possible to have a harem of yellow coris wrasses in a reef tank. I already have 1 in my 120 reef tank and it is doing great.

I came across 2 small wrasses today and I was wondering if it would be possible to add these to my tank with the 1 yellow coris I already have.

Is there a way to easily sex the fish to avoid issues with males and females, or are they all one sex and the dominate becomes the male.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

I may have gone to tropic isle after work today pictures to follow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here they are:

They're tiny
e29b20537edb58039d4351efffe04d43.jpg

In the net before release
dd8bd558ff54b854887979878d894b93.jpg

That's my pinkie for comparison.

I also grabbed a diamond goby that immediately tried to jump out of the tank only to find the screen top.

When I got up this morning the two new coris wrasses where still sleeping but my original was out and about.

Here is my original male:
8d93d4d86c5418564d160817aaf71192.jpg

0849c1c8abe3e322853c572ba60877a5.jpg

I heard they're one of the best fish to have. Nice looking. Hope the trio will work out.
I usually don't like to keep single fish. If possible, I like them in pairs or trio.

I am not sure on how to sex them, but everything that I have been ready says that they all start off as females and that the dominate female will eventually become a male displaying more colors.

I am hoping that since the two new wrasses are still small that they are both females still. They were only in the store for about a day so they shouldn't have time to figure out a pecking order.

My thought is that the coris I already had that is at least double the size of the new ones will become male or is already a male. (assumption is the later as I can already see color developing in his face.)

Male corris wrasse have green war paint marks on the face. The females are just plan yellow.

Just ran home after work to make sure that I had no carpet surfers. Everyone is still happy.

I was surprised to see all 3 coris wrasses out since they normally hide when first added.

I will try to get a picture of them all when I get back home. That's if they have grouped up

I had one for about 6 months and he was great until he went carpet surfing two weeks ago. He must have jumped through one of the holes in my egg crate/diffuser top. I just built a 1/4" BRS mesh screen top last weekend to replace it and I will definitely be picking up another yellow coris wrass soon.

I'm not going to lie I was extremely surprised and extremely happy when I got back home.

After cleaning the glass the coris wrasses actually bunched up and the largest seemed protective.

I was able to get this video.
https://vimeo.com/205473235

I had one for about 6 months and he was great until he went carpet surfing two weeks ago. He must have jumped through one of the holes in my egg crate/diffuser top. I just built a 1/4" BRS mesh screen top last weekend to replace it and I will definitely be picking up another yellow coris wrass soon.

I have lost many fish to the carpet. I have been running the 1/4" top for a year now and it has probably saved more fish than I can count. Actually saved my new diamond goby last night.
bd0fa8f857274909b7a0325ca2509b31.jpg

Update on the wrasses. They have been getting along great and the colors in my original yellow coris wrasse have gotten much more pronounced in the last week. The issue that I am having now is that one of the yellow coris wrasses have taken a liking to riding my overflow.

I am sure that if I didn't have the screen top on my tank that he would have been on the carpet by now.

My thought is that I am going to net him after work tonight and put him back in my display. I am then going to try to zip-tie some of my extra screen from my tops to the top of my overflow to prevent the fish from being able to jump between the gap in the overflow and my tops.

Does anyone else have any suggestions or does this seem like a good idea. I am going to make sure the screen stays out of the water to keep it from collecting debris that is flowing out through the overflow.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you

So here is what I came up to stop the wrasse from riding the overflow.
39222d8c1794b48efdc98aa44f6f7bdb.jpg

0ed07efaac0f44eaf8bab1ea170c5025.jpg

Hopefully this works it takes way too long to take everything out of my sump to catch this one fish. I would just leave it but I really want the three wrasses to school up and form a group and I feel if one is in the sumo it will go male on its own and wreck my plan.

Back