Yellow Tang VS Purple Tang

Bao

Non-member
Good morning everyone,
Help me to decide on my last fish, a Tang. My tank is a 75g, it isn't that big but I want a Tang.

Yellow tang VS Purple tang

Liveaquaria.com 8" max VS 10" max
100 G minimum VS 100 G minimum

Marinedepotlive 12" max VS 10" max
100G minimum VS 100G minimum.

They give me conflicting information.
1) Which one is the smaller Tang?
2) Which one is more aggressive?
3) Which one do you like better?

Last, Can I see some pictures of your purple tang. I see them at the pet store but their color is so bad, I guess it is because of stress and malnutrition.

For now, I just can't decide between the two of them.
Thanks

Yeah, I saw them but their color isn't that great. I guess because of stress, that's why I want to see some pictures from other members that have them for couple months or more.

I usually see medium sized purples for sale around $40. From my experiance both of these tangs are real territorial but usually only at fish that are placed after them. The purple can be alot more aggressive then the yellow. But then again that all depends on what fish you have and your fishes personality of course. I prefer the yellow tang over the purple, a reef tank has more then enough purple already in it :D

purple

medium sized puprple for 40 please let me know where I will buy them all and resell for 80 all day long

purples have become alot more expensive over the last year

I paid $90.00 for my med/lg purple tang and though I got a good deal. IMO I would go with the purple tang mine is in a 300 with a Tomini tang and a yellow eyed tang , and they all get along fine. They all hang together. If i can get a good pic if him I will post it his color is real good

You cant be serious. I have seen the purple tang at 2.5 - 3.5 inches for sale around $40-50 consistantly, the highest price I can remember labeled for one of those guys was in the 60s.

(edit- well I guess im not talking about medium if its at 2.5 - 3.5 inches, I just assumed he is getting the small ones since he only has a 75g)

Last edited:
The 3 stores that had them had them priced at $100, $120 and $90 I just looked online And they are $50-$60 for a 2"-3" one mine was at least 4" when I got him

I have usually seen them in the 50-70 range. I had them a coupla times and had to donate them to the LFS, both were out and out terrorists. They are gorgeous, but I never had good results with them.

I've had both...still have a purple that was a rescue....both get very territorial and aggressive if not the last one introduced to the tank. I find that neither grows very quickly...at least in my tank. The purple tang I've had for about 4yrs and is still about 3.5-4" in my 120. FWIW, I've never seen a purple for less than $75 other than from another reefer.

My purple is very aggressive, MUCH more so than my yellow.

while it was my initial plan for then purple to be last, 2 subsequent attempts at additions resulted in the purple killing them......after 6 weeks in QT for the new addition, then 2 more weeks in the 92's refugium, so I could verify there was no shock.

The purple also spars with the yellow pretty frequently.....mutual chewed fins, etc

IMO I'd go with the purple, both will become more aggresive as they mature (all tangs do), To me almost every yellow I've ever seen in stores has the begging stages of HtoT LLE (lateral line errosion sp), and the purps I've seen look healthier IMO, plus everyone has a yellow!

Thanks all for your opinion.
A member here decided to sell me his Purple tang. I will pick it up very soon.

Yellow tang VS Purple tang

Liveaquaria.com 8" max VS 10" max
100 G minimum VS 100 G minimum

Marinedepotlive 12" max VS 10" max
100G minimum VS 100G minimum.

they wont get that big in your tank
edit, if this is your last fish why not spend a little more and get a blk tang =)

they wont get that big in your tank
edit, if this is your last fish why not spend a little more and get a blk tang =)

If they won't get that big in his tank, aren't they either a temporary inhabitant or an eventually stressed and more aggressive inhabitant?

Back