Yellow tang with a purple tang. Bad idea?

sagecx

Non-member
So i have a change to pick up a purple tang almost the same size as my yellow tang so about 3". I know they are same body shape so fights can happen just want to know if anyone had any experience keeping both. Tank is a 92 corner. My other option is a powder blue to go with the yellow tang although i kinda worry about the ich tendency of powder blues.

And for the tang police i will pass on the fish to a fellow reefer if i havent upgraded to a bigger tank by the time they are ready for one.

I understand the rule of the three body types of tangs and how they get along with each other but have seen many people do fine with same types of tangs. Guess i am just asking for local experiences.

I have had a yellow and a purple tang with no problems. Of course, that doesn't mean that you will have the same experience.

I have my vlamingi and a small lipstick naso they have the same body and they don't notice eachother. The vlamingi really hates the scribbled rabbitfish though. I know yellows can be territorial but yours is small. tang police lmao

Thanks i think i am going to go for it. I figured he was small enough there wouldnt be a huge issue. I think hes lonely to be honest he rarely leaves the clowns sides and even sleep besides the duncans they have decided to host...deeply to my annoyance.

I used to keep a yellow tang, a hippo and a purple tang for several years an no problem.

I have a yellow and a purple. THe purple is quite a bit bigger than the yellow but I have not had any issues.

It is best to add them at the same size but as you already have the yellow just keep a close eye on them when you first add them.

So i got the purple tang today and was a bit worried when the around 3" turned about to be 4". Kinda expected the worst to be honest was actually hoping the dottybacks aggression might save the yellow tang.

Well as soon as i added the purple tang the yellow left the clowns...finally. He has stayed with the purple tang the entire time since and there has been zero fighting so far. They have been swimming side by side picking at the rock together all day. Hopefully it lasts but things look good so far.

Back