Zeovit

Randy, would you suggest running zeovit without the zeolite? Do you think it would advantages to switch from zeolite to the biopellets? Have you read any tests on the biopellets

I've not heard of anyone try it, so I really do not know what would happen, but other substrates also work.

I dose a ton of vinegar and a little vodka (270 mL and 5-10 ml per day, respectively), and I see a lot of growth on my GAC in my cannister filter. It clogs after a while. I clean it periodically (and toss the bacteria) the same way that zeovit folks do for zeolites, except I think they usually keep most of the bacteria in the tank. I've not actually tried to send any back to the tank, but I expect a lot does naturally between cleanings.

I also have a huge amount of live rock per display volume since I have refugia packed with rock, and there is probably some bacterial growth there, but I never clean that. In looking at rocks, there are lots of different growths, but I am not sure what they all are. Bacteria? Encrusting sponges or other organisms?

plenty of people run zeovit without zeolites. I did for a while.. it was ok, no issues to speak of.. but one of the supposed issues of running the system that way is you get bacterial growth on rocks, sandbed, tank glass, etc. instead of on the zeolites themselves.

It's going to be interesting to see if the NP pellets are going to overtake the zeovit. I'm still having a bit of trouble seeing something so simple as running these pellets non stop in a reactor taking over a complex system like Zeovit.. but maybe that's just me ;)

Yes, the bacteria have to grow somewhere, and folks dosing organic carbon occasionally have such issues too. I'm just not sure the zeolite is a good choice since it causes the potassium problems. Why not use other substrates? GAC or even zeolites that do not bind potassium.

I think the rational relating to ammonia binding by the zeolite is not plausible, so other substrates may be a fine way to go. :)

Yes, the bacteria have to grow somewhere, and folks dosing organic carbon occasionally have such issues too. I'm just not sure the zeolite is a good choice since it causes the potassium problems. Why not use other substrates? GAC or even zeolites that do not bind potassium.

I think the rational relating to ammonia binding by the zeolite is not plausible, so other substrates may be a fine way to go. :)

I hear ya. The potassium issue is clearly a downfall of the zeovit system itself. It can be dealt with, but can be a hassle. FWIW zeovit also runs GAC 24/7, so i'm sure there is some bacteria growth on the carbon as well..

Are there any benefits from thier zeolite that out ways the potassium issue?

yes.. the bacteria grows on the zeolites, and reproduces in the canister. You then shake the bacteria free while pumping the canister.. it goes about the tank and eats all sorts of bad "stuff" that is phosphate and nitrate.. then it dies and gets skimmed out. So the zeolites are good because they keep all of the bacteria (or at least the majority of it) contained in the zeovit filter... or that's the idea at least.

Randy was talking about other veolites that will not bond potassiom. I was wondering if the type we use is superior in some way to other kinds?

not really sure as to the benefits of the said zeolites compared to other substrates. I know that Thomas Pohl (creator or zeovit) is often very secretive about what is in each product specifically, and why they do what they do... he tries to release as little information as possible so that others can't copy zeovit's success.

Back